JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Beronika (Offline)
New to JF

Undergraduate study at a Japanese university - 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Hello everybody.
I would really like you to help me because I'm in a great dilemma.
I would like to apply for a scholarship to do my undergraduate study in Japan which means that I am supposed to study Japanese for a year and then pass the university examination.
However, I am determined to major in Business or Economics and I would like to receive your feedback on whether it is a good idea to study it in Japan. I know a lot of Japanese leave for Europe or North America to pursue their studies in this domain.
I know that by studying in Japan I shall get an insightful experience of a fascinating civilization and I could learn Japanese which would be of much help. But I would like to ensure my studies are competitive as well. Do you think studying Business in Japan is so?
p.s.: I am from an Eastern European country and I have already been to Japan on a short exchange program.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beronika View Post
Hello everybody.
I would really like you to help me because I'm in a great dilemma.
I would like to apply for a scholarship to do my undergraduate study in Japan which means that I am supposed to study Japanese for a year and then pass the university examination.
However, I am determined to major in Business or Economics and I would like to receive your feedback on whether it is a good idea to study it in Japan. I know a lot of Japanese leave for Europe or North America to pursue their studies in this domain.
I know that by studying in Japan I shall get an insightful experience of a fascinating civilization and I could learn Japanese which would be of much help. But I would like to ensure my studies are competitive as well. Do you think studying Business in Japan is so?
p.s.: I am from an Eastern European country and I have already been to Japan on a short exchange program.
Could you specify which East European country you are from?

Also, what are your other options?

Let's say is it both financially and realistic for you to attend universities in English Speaking countries?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Beronika (Offline)
New to JF

05-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Hi
thank you for showing interest.
I am from a country few have probably heard of. It used to be a USSR republic and now it is an independent state. It is also one of the poorest in Europe, although the urban areas are pretty wealthy.
The other option would be to go to study in other countries offering full scholarship. I have already applied for one in the Czech Republic and I could also try to go to Romania. Both European countries, but not very outstanding in terms of prestigious education.
It is realistic for me to attend university in an English-speaking country, given the fact that I scored 113/120 at TOEFL. However, it is not financially realistic.

So, I have already mentioned I have been to Japan and this would be a great opportunity for me to experience what few had the chance to, especially from my country. But I would like to make sure I can get a valuable degree as well, one that would allow me to be further admitted for Masters at a prestigious university in Japan or elsewhere.

Of course, I could choose from a variety of areas for my study in Japan but, although I'm not yet fully decided, it's Economics or Business what appeals to me the most.

Does what i have written above help in any way?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-28-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm sure someone will go into further detail with you about this, but if an English speaking country is not financially realistic for you, then it's almost Guranteed that Japan will be the same case. Japan is rather expensive. From living expenses to Tuition fees for foreigners...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Beronika (Offline)
New to JF

05-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Heyz
well that is what this all is about
I can't get a full scholarship in an English-speaking country but I can apply to get one from the Japanese goverment.
The question is not about the money, but about the quality of economical studies in Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-28-2008, 10:44 AM

I see. In that case... Economics departments are not so prestigeous in Japan... The highest ranked is 107th in the world, and that is at Osaka University.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~tstengos/eearank93.pdf

Don't take this as fact. It's just one of many rankings, but in my experience, I've never seen Japanese Universities ranked highly when it comes to Economics.
On the other hand, if you're looking for prestige, then the subject you do, doesn't really matter. It's usually the name of the university that counts, not the course. Please not, "usually", and this isn't true for all cases. But that's up to you to find out if it applies to you by ressearching your career options.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM

I have a friend who is interested in economics, and currently he is looking into going to Keio University. Probobly not much help, but when it comes down to it, I think that the research and studying you do on your own dime is what makes the education, schools really only help guide. If you work hard enough, you could easily pull off a better education at a low school than working less at a prestigious school.

But people do look at your degree, as opposed to giving you tests on knowledge and such when you enter the workplace. In this scenario, having a degree from a prestigious school can mean a whole lot more. Whether or not it is a well known economics school or not, graduating from a place like Keio or Tokyo U will be looked at with interest. Just remeber to study on your own as well as the mule-like workload they will give.

My 2 Sentz
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM

yess.. it is very rarely for a foreign students to learn economics in Japan since Japan is much more famous in technology and all that stuff.. you could excell well in america and other european countries since you TOEFL marks is quite remarkable...

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Beronika (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 01:13 PM

seaghyn,
kyo_9

thank you for your suggestions. I am just afraid that if I don't take advantage of this opportunity now, I might never get the chance to spend such a long time in Japan and I might regret it afterwards.

A bit offtopic: do most of the foreign students leave Japan when they graduate or stay for longer?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Will your classes be taught in English or in Japanese?

If you have a chance for a free eduacation in Japan, take it.

In this day and age, your major doesn't matter as much as your experience. Few people I know actually work in the fields of study they graduated in.