JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
x08 (Offline)
New to JF

Another "I want to move to Japan" - 05-28-2008, 01:55 AM

Hi, everyone!
I'm new! Another of those "OMGI<3JP" people that wants to make a home in the wonderful land of Sony and Toyota.

I've been having a conversation on another forum about moving to Japan. japan-guide.com forum - Experience for visa?

So that you're not forced to click on the link, I'll give you a short rundown:

I'm 27 and have been living and teaching English in Taiwan for the past 7 years. I'm married to a Taiwanese, though our relationship seems to have a lot of downs compared to the ups - but hey~ that's marriage. I also have a daughter of almost 3.

Recently, my wife's mother died (taken by cancer, RIP) and a whole lot of issues within the family have arisen. So, she wants out of Taiwan. She's qualified for instant PR in Australia, but I really don't want to go back.

After some discussion, she has agreed that if I can find a way - she would happily move to Japan with me.

Now for the problem. I don't have a degree, neither does she. My degree was dropped and put on deferrment (which should be cancelled now) when I moved to Taiwan - following my heart in that typical, sappy way made famous in romance novels around the world. I've had a good life and had no regrets - until now.

My teaching experience includes five years in kindergarten and two (three by the end of my contract) in junior and senior high. Four years of afternoons teaching in children's cram schools for some extra pocket money, three of evenings teaching adults anything from basic conversation to business English, and also about half a year with a private student - tutoring him in advanced conversation.

My wish is to drag my sorry arse over to Japan, family in tow, get a job and attend night classes at the local university to get a degree. Seperation for a while may be necessary, I know - but it would be worth it in the end.

I've been to Japan twice, and I love it - and I don't need to hear anything about culture shock as I had plenty of that when I first got to Taiwan. I don't need to be rich, but earn enough to support myself and my family - with a home somewhere out more into the countryside instead of Tokyo. Perhaps around Kyoto somewhere.

I would appreciate to hear your input and comments, preferably constructive.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-28-2008, 02:02 AM

The chance of getting a visa in your situation without a degree is probably under 1% I'm afraid...especially as you are not married to a Japanese citizen so cannot qualify for a spousal visa

IMO, your best bet would be to go back to Australia, get your degree, then go to Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2008, 02:13 AM

You may be able to get in on a 3-6month Working Holiday Visa from Australia, but I'm not sure as to the exact rules for WHV.

But if you want to get in on the 1-3 year renewable work visas, you will need a degree in some field. Immigration law won't let them give one to "non skilled workers" I believe.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-28-2008, 02:32 AM

there r ways to get around the "have to have a uni degree" thing by exchanging the uni requirement with experience. however, it is not stated exactly how this experience will have to look like and therefore it is difficult to give u a straight answer.

i would give u three leads, contact the japanese "trade delegation" or whatever it is could on taiwan, contact the japanese immigration (they do provide info in english if u call them, the mail service they got is unfortunately in japanese only or contact an english school in japan straight away, after all they r the once that will have to sponsor u, perhaps they know. not knowing for sure, u best shot might be with the kindergardens since uni degrees on that level are less common than among "normal" english schools. this is not to say that uni degrees are uncommon among kindergarden staff.

good luck

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-28-2008, 06:02 AM

It sounds like there are multiple issues with your situation.

First of all, you don't have a college degree.

Secondly, your job options are limited because of that and even if you find something, many jobs you can find over the Internet requires you to be already in Japan. So you have a sponsor issue as well.

Thirdly, yes you could use your working holiday visa but there is an age limit and plus I'm not sure whether it covers spouses. Even if your wife has an Australian citizenship, you also have a daughter so that makes things even more complicated.

Finally, major universities in Japan offer less and less night classes and also for you to get in to a Japanese university itself is a big challenge. Because you have to be able to read and write in Japanese and then pass the entrance exam. You live in Taiwan so you should know how hard entrance exams are in Far East Asia.

So like chachava suggested, if you have to move out of Taiwan now, you probably should go back to Australia to complete your degree.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Akakage (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Konnichiwa x08,

First let me say I'm sorry to hear about your wife's mother. I recently lost someone close to me who had cancer as well.

I will say that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You mentioned in your post that you have been teaching English in Taiwan for 7 years. Well the requirements for the humanities visa (the visa needed to teach English in Japan) requires that a person have either a degree or 3 years experience teaching. So you actually do qualify for a visa. The catch is getting a school to sponsor you that recognizes the "3 year requirement". On your end you're going to have to show using letters from your employers, tax forms, pay stubs and whatever proof that you can get, to show to immigration that you really have been teaching there for 7 years. It has been done, I know 2 people who have done it. It was just very difficult. But you never know until you try.

Teachers make around 230-250,000 yen a month. It would be extremely difficult to raise a family on this. But if you're able to get a working visa, I believe your wife can receive a spouse visa that will allow her to find work as well, so you would have two incomes. (I'll have to check on that to make sure) What exactly does she do for a living?

Have you thought about completing your degree online? You have to be careful to select a school that's properly accredited but that might be a much easier option than attending night classes. This way you will be able to spend time with your family.

And just a side question - How were you able to teach English in Taiwan without a degree? I thought at least an associates was required?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
Teachers make around 230-250,000 yen a month. It would be extremely difficult to raise a family on this. But if you're able to get a working visa, I believe your wife can receive a spouse visa that will allow her to find work as well, so you would have two incomes. (I'll have to check on that to make sure) What exactly does she do for a living?
Unfortunately, spouses of those on working visas do not receive permission to work. That only happens in the case that they are married to a Japanese citizen.

You can easily raise a family on 250,000 a month if you live outside of Tokyo or Osaka. We spend about that much to keep our family afloat, and we`re paying off a condo and own a car.

I`d love to give you more advice - I am friends with a number of Taiwanese in this area and they might have some pointers to possibly help your wife also get a visa that would allow her to work... Or even open a new window in that direction. Please feel free to PM me, and if you have any sort of chat program I would be more than happy to register you and talk.

(Feeling nice and helpful toward your situation as I started out in Japan with no visa, and currently have a 3 year old son.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
Have you thought about completing your degree online? You have to be careful to select a school that's properly accredited but that might be a much easier option than attending night classes. This way you will be able to spend time with your family.
I agree, though, online classes are just as challenging, since you have to really be able to do work on your own and by yourself. I guess you could say it's self-teaching.
Quote:
And just a side question - How were you able to teach English in Taiwan without a degree? I thought at least an associates was required?
My cousin is currently living in Thailand, and he has an English teaching job. He doesn't have a degree, either. I don't understand how, but I guess not all places require one to have a degree.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2008, 12:01 AM

To be fair, the "must have a degree" rules only recently started coming into play when they started getting too many people who had no idea how to teach come over. Obviously those people didn't stick around very long.

I think having a degree now also shows them you are willing to dedicate yourself to something for an extended period of time. Which is good to know, since a lot of people that go to the Asias to teach English tend not to even stick out for the 1 year contracts.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-29-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
To be fair, the "must have a degree" rules only recently started coming into play when they started getting too many people who had no idea how to teach come over. Obviously those people didn't stick around very long.
No, it`s technically always been that way... And it hasn`t changed the quality of teaching at all. I`d say the great majority of the "teachers" in Japan have absolutely no idea how to teach. Recently students are starting to realize this, so are no longer putting much of any trust in the quality of English conversation schools.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.