JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JayAyeAre (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to JayAyeAre
where to stay when visiting Japan - 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM

i plan on spending about 2 months in Tokyo. Hotels are way to expensive to stay there for 2 months (unless theres a cheap one idk about) and when I visited a Japan Guesthouse website, it said I would need my passport and visa, I have a passport but not a visa. Are there any other options that aren't pricey for staying in Tokyo for about 2 months? Thank you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAyeAre View Post
i plan on spending about 2 months in Tokyo. Hotels are way to expensive to stay there for 2 months (unless theres a cheap one idk about) and when I visited a Japan Guesthouse website, it said I would need my passport and visa, I have a passport but not a visa. Are there any other options that aren't pricey for staying in Tokyo for about 2 months? Thank you.
Don't worry about visa.

Americans don't need any special visa to come to Japan.

You will be automatically entering Japan under tourist visa which allows you to stay for 90 days.

When a foreigner enters the US, they get I-91 I think and it is often used as a proof of entry.

I'm sure you will get something like that when entering Japan as well.

It is possible to find an accommodation for short stay at reasonable price and the best places to look for it would be gaijinpot.com.

Sometimes craigslist has some postings but nothing compare to gaijinpot.

Another option is to sign up for a hostel membership.

You have to pay a joiner fee but once you become a member, you will get discount rates on hostels which runs about 3,000~3,500 yen per night.

They are all over the place so you should have plenty to choose from.

I usually recommend Khaosan Tokyo Guest House because it is located in Asakusa and it is convenient for the first few days.

Good luck!!

Last edited by tommasi : 05-29-2008 at 10:04 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Just add to that, its not just "American" don't need a visa, many other citizenships are allowed a temporary (90 days) stay in Japan without a Visa.

As for hotel, Hostel is a good way to go, while I don't know how much it cost, you can also look for cheap business hotel/motel for about 3500¥to 6500¥ a night.

Good luck
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
05-29-2008, 02:14 PM

well i checked in for my first 2 weeks in the Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO . I dont know how it will look like, but the page looks ok and it runs at 2500-2700 Yen a night. Its bassicly like a Hostel with shared bathroom and kitchen, but with single rooms on the price from normal Hostel rooms. It is in Ueno, so it might be a little bit off the spot for you, just check it out. Note that the rooms are really small i guess, but for me thats not a problem, at least i have my own room.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)