JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ksan (Offline)
New to JF

Biking in Tokyo - 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Kanichiwa

I just found out that I will be going to Japan for a year. Leaving the States early July. I am an avid biker, and I am wondering whether I should bring my Mountain Bike or a Road Bike. I made the mistake oif bringing my Road bike to New Zealand last year when I SHOULD have brought the Mountain bike. Big mistake, as the road were REALLY narrow, and driovers there did not seem to understand the notion if "sharing" the road with bikers. I'm hoping Japan will be different. Also, I am a pilot and fly general aviation airplanes. If anyonoe has any info on GA in Japan, such as flying clubs or other opportunities to rent airplanes that would also be very helpful. I'll be living in Tokyo.

I speak NO Japanese yet, but I'm hoping Rosetta Stone lives up to its' reputation. 5 weeks to go................
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

06-02-2008, 03:40 PM

I duno what Bike you should take But im jealous that your going to japan for a year
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ksan (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks - I'm totally psyched. I've wanted to go for years, and now I'll get to live and work in Tokyo CBD.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

i would take a mountain bike, you won't be riding it on the road though around the city, you will be using the sidewalk for the most part....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-02-2008, 03:55 PM

I too wondered about this, how bike-friendly is Tokyo? Never had one when I was there last, and it's so long ago now I really can't remember.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Very very bike friendly, you will see bikes almost anywhere you go to
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

06-02-2008, 08:37 PM

It is very bike friendly in a way but there is also no notion of sharing the road.

Everyone rides bikes on the sidewalk so it takes some getting used to as you have to learn how to ride a bike on a narrow path and pass between tons of walkers...

But overall, Japan is by far more bike friendly than any American cities because bikes are treated as a major source of transportation and many people mix biking and public transportation to get to work and school.

But be aware that you cannot bring bikes inside the train.