JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tsukimoon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tsukimoon Send a message via MSN to tsukimoon
Jobs in Japan - 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM

I know I sound like everyone else out there, but it is my dream and goal to move to Japan once I can afford it after college. Something that can be unsettling for me however is that I have absolutely no idea of what types of jobs there are in Japan, especially those in high demand or one they would be likely to hire a foreigner for. Besides teaching English of course. I talked to my aunt (she teaches English as a second language here in America) and she says that as far as she knows, it's not realistic to make a career out of teaching English over there, and that most people would only go there for a year, teach, and then come back.

So I guess I have two questions: what types of jobs are there in Japan, and is my aunt right?

~Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

1) Teaching English

2) Depends. Most people aren't looking to make a career out of it, and don't. But many people can and do. A friend of mine had been teaching English there for nearly 20 years.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-04-2008, 12:26 PM

I think a more "appropriate" question to ask will be what kind of Jobs are OFFERED to foreigner. There are all kind of jobs in Japan, but will you take and do you qualify, thats the question.

What is your area of studies? If you are in any computer discipline, your best bet is to first study Japanese in US and get a job to earn some experience first, I doubt they will offer any IT job to someone who doesn't speak the language and don't have any experience.

What are you studying in college?

Career planning is difficult and a crucial part of your life, don't just take any job because you want to move somewhere, you have to enjoy the job too.

But of course, if its your dream to settle in Japan, and you are willing to make all kind of sacrifices then ignore what others said and take an english teaching job there (NOT implying that its a bad career or doubting its feasability). I just don't want you to take whatever for the sake of going and ended up hating your job
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hikikomori (Offline)
JF Regular

06-04-2008, 08:18 PM

I think you should just try out Japan for one year as a starter. You don't really know anything about the country if you haven't lived there before. To think now that you want to move to Japan and live there the rest of your live is wrong, i think, that's my opinion. I think you should start small...

Like working as an Au pair in an Japanese family for instance. Or you can study in Japan, one year.. Or work at a manga cafe in Akihabara and wear those kawaii maid costumes

yeah, there are many bars and such and such that want foreigners.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sirgonzalo (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

As they said you must have really what you want because if for you is not important how kind of job you will apply for is one thing another is if you want to live in japan and have a career is a bit different the kind of you you are looking for.

Firts study japanese and graduate in a good university, after that you can look for a job without experience, you can also get some experience in your country before.