JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Question for MMM or current JET participant - 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Question about the "MAXIMUM" age that someone is qualify for a teaching job.

As most of you know, failing to find an IT job, one of my plan is to invest in a small business in Japan after I retired and just move there then with my wife (fiancee now).

This thought kinda strike me: With what I am making and saving now, I am sure I will be able to retire by around mid 40 - early 50. Assuming the demand for English teachers (bad assumption but lets just assume) is still high then, do you think I can apply to become a teacher too then? Or will I be too old by then?

What do you think
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-04-2008, 05:10 PM

The JET cut-off age used to be 35, it was recently increased to 40. Thing is, you're an assistant English teacher on JET, and it's weird in Japan for a person 10 or 15 years older than the teacher to be only the assistant.

If you were to just go and become a private English school teacher, I don't think there's a cut off for that, as you are the sole teacher in the room.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
The JET cut-off age used to be 35, it was recently increased to 40. Thing is, you're an assistant English teacher on JET, and it's weird in Japan for a person 10 or 15 years older than the teacher to be only the assistant.

If you were to just go and become a private English school teacher, I don't think there's a cut off for that, as you are the sole teacher in the room.
Thanks Samurai007. I think it will also be difficult to become a private school teacher? I wonder if they need a teacher for an English IT class in private schools? I may look into that then someday
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-04-2008, 08:09 PM

If you have IT experience or training, there are a few companies in Japan that teach industry-English, as well as business English.

One of the companies I was looking at before coming back to Canada was this: WELCOME TO F.I.A. HOMEPAGE
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-04-2008, 08:12 PM

JET wouldn't be for you, as, besides the age cut-off, it's a temporary position...entry level.

I agree with Nathan, looking at teaching business or IT English might be a good idea. Do you really want to teach 10-year-olds "It's rainy today."?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
JET wouldn't be for you, as, besides the age cut-off, it's a temporary position...entry level.

I agree with Nathan, looking at teaching business or IT English might be a good idea. Do you really want to teach 10-year-olds "It's rainy today."?
Ha ha, i wouldn't mind that actually... But IT English will be a good idea I guess... "Programming 101 in Plain Language - English"

But on a serious note, does any teaching job match that description? Something in the computer/IT/Electronic discipline but in English?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-05-2008, 12:12 PM

And Thanks Nathan for the link, i will look into it
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-05-2008, 12:22 PM

I just wonder; is it that you want to work even when retired, for fun? (+extra cash?)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
I just wonder; is it that you want to work even when retired, for fun? (+extra cash?)
Hmm.. just want to feel useful... and I always want to go back to Japan, I lived there when I was a kid and went to school by Yokosuka. I love the country and want to go back someday. It just seems like I can't do it now so I made it part of my retirement plan.

Its too early to say this, but I think I don't mind working for fun, and if i can do it in Japan it will be a bonus. I thought about just doing photography work after, but I don't think "photography" will get me to Japan. So I am just exploring my options for work after retirement
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Hmm.. just want to feel useful... and I always want to go back to Japan, I lived there when I was a kid and went to school by Yokosuka. I love the country and want to go back someday. It just seems like I can't do it now so I made it part of my retirement plan.

Its too early to say this, but I think I don't mind working for fun, and if i can do it in Japan it will be a bonus. I thought about just doing photography work after, but I don't think "photography" will get me to Japan. So I am just exploring my options for work after retirement
I understand, seems smart.