JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sephael (Offline)
New to JF

Working as a diver in Japan - 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Is it an option? Say, If I finished the course at Fort Williams in Scotland, either the Standard Career Package or Commercial Diver - Scuba, would I be able to work in Japan?

Does anyone know of any companies looking for divers or willing to give job visa's ?

Im very curious about it, since it could be my way into Japan

Standard Career Package - The Underwater Centre

Commercial Diver - Scuba - The Underwater Centre
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Hi Sephael,

The topic of getting jobs in Japan had already been covered numerous time. There are a few basic criteria to get a job in Japan, and in this case, I suppose diver is a very special profession, and yes it is possible if there happen to be an opening and they can't fill the job while the company that is hiring is wealthy enough to sponsor you
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sephael (Offline)
New to JF

06-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Sorry bout that , I've been browsing the forums for past 2 hours (got through most of the topics), and I found out almost everything I needed
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-27-2008, 03:28 AM

Commercial diving is a profession, but finding a position in Japan would be difficult. Most dive work is done for oil companies or ship builders. Japan has no oil industry, though it does have a rather large ship building industry. Unfortunately, these ships are maintained and repaired in-house, and generally Japanese are hired for what positions there are. And you can't forget that the US Navy has a strong presence in Japan, and their divers usually get the first pick of whatever work is available.

Your best option is to get a job with one of the larger oil companies. Ocean exploration is being ramped up at the moment, and it won't be long before offshore drilling begins in America. You should be taking your course as soon as possible.

One of the better companies to work for as a diver would probably be Schlumberger (shlom ber jay).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Very good information and suggestion Sangetsu. Actually that does raise a good point, I believe that there are some oil foundary deal between Japan and China, so they will definitely need divers soon