JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

Cell phones and lack of ARC: What are my options?? - 06-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Here's my situation.

In the beginning of September I will be a student at a university in Japan. We will at this time go to our town halls to apply for Alien Registration Cards. These cards are, from what I've read, what allows foreigners to get phones and contracts.

Here's where my dilemma begins though. I will be in Japan for a week in July and a week in August where I will need to communicate with a friend so having a cell phone seems pretty essential. Since I won't have my Alien Registration Card, what are my options? One of my friends in Japan told me that I might be able to do a pre-paid phone. Is this my only option?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-29-2008, 02:44 AM

Uhh, I won't say I'm 100% sure. But I think thats kind of bs, that you need an "alien registration card" to get a cell phone. I had a cell phone with some kind of monthly payment when I was there on a tourist visa.

なんでやねん!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Well, I was told by the school that I am going to that an Alien Registration Card is necessary in order to buy a phone in Japan and I've also read this elsewhere...

So, does anyone else have some input as to my dilemma?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Crea (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysPEPSI View Post
Well, I was told by the school that I am going to that an Alien Registration Card is necessary in order to buy a phone in Japan and I've also read this elsewhere...

So, does anyone else have some input as to my dilemma?
You do need a ARC to get a phone plan and the regular phone models.
I'm not sure about the prepaid, but last year, my Japanese friend had to buy my prepaid phone for me, I don't remember if it was because of the ARC or not...but Henbaka seems to have had no problems, so...

If you're only going for a week, maybe you can consider renting a phone at the airport? I don't remember the fees, but they're probably on the expensive side, and if you limit your talking time and have friends call you instead of you call out, I don't think it's a bad idea. There are multiple cellphone counters at the Narita arrival halls so you can just shop around there.

I did a quick Google search for "japan rental phones" and tons of sites turned up, but most of have the phones mailed to you within the US before you leave, and I'm not sure where you currently are, so Narita rentals seem the easiest.

Renting might be better than getting a prepaid, especially if you're gonna be in Japan from Sept onwards and plan on getting a regular phone. Last summer, my prepaid cost around 7000 yen for the phone alone, and I could buy talk time in 3000 or 5000 yen increments. That's about 10000 yen for two weeks, which depending on how much you're gonna use it, may not be worth it.

But if you're interested, I used Softbank:
Prepaid Service | SoftBank
And another:
KDDI au: Prepaid Service
I've never used au, so not sure if they work exactly the same as Softbank.

Hmm prepaid and rental are the only two ideas I can think of for now...but hope that helps a little.
Btw, what university are you going to in Sept? Are you going as an exchange student?

(#5 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2008, 03:14 AM

Thanks so much for the help Crea! Yeah, since I will only be there for a week I will definitely go with the renting a cell phone. I will look into whether I should get one at the airport or have one mailed to me.

I am going to be attending 関西外大 (Kansai Gaidai) as an exchange student.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM

I tried to get a prepaid phone yesterday and you will definitely need a ARC even for prepaid. The guy behind the counter told me that 1 year ago it was possible without. So i will have to wait another 2 weeks to get my card and than a cellphone...

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Just get an old person to vouch for you as your "host father" and you can get a pre-paid phone in less than 30 minutes. I did it at softbank with my real host mother, and I brought nothing except money.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry I think I may have made a mistake saying that. It was no problem for me to get a phone, but I just remembered I bought it via my language school. Maybe that was the reason for why it was so easy. I don't know.

なんでやねん!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Prepaid phones are often used for crimes and the regulation changed fey years ago and now you definitely need to show some kind of valid ID.

I'm Japanese but even I had to show my driver's license to buy it so since newly arrived foreigners do not have any records other than ARC, the govt. thinks it's a good idea.

But since someone else can buy phones for you, it is pointless.

Anyways, good luck with getting one.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
AlwaysPEPSI (Offline)
JF Regular

07-02-2008, 12:19 AM

Is it true that some US phones work in Japan if they are 3G?