(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miak (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Miak, let's not play childish games.

I knew no and know no non-Japanese that have gone to grad school in Japan. Maybe my experience is unique, but that's all I can go by.
Well, I am sincerely sorry if I offended you at all. Please be aware that the internet is not the place for the more "sensitive" users. I am also sorry to the OP for taking this so off topic.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Other than Japanese studies, I only know few non-Japanese doing their masters in Japan.

Some of the fields I am aware of are, technology related fields, medicine, politics, math, anthropology, sociology, and etc.

For example, I've met this French girl once and she was doing some kind of research at Tokyo University of Medicine? (東京医科歯科大). I believe she was doing her master's in biology.

It seems to me that there are two trends among these non-Japanese students.

First, they are often involved in lab research where Japanese universities have strength over major universities in the US although numbers are very limited and mostly centralized around Tokyo.

Second, majority of students come from Asia, Eastern Europe, and Africa. Often these are top candidates back home and come to Japan through some kind of govt fund or other types of worldly recognized scholarships such as Fulbright or Rotary. There are some students from industrialized nations as well but they are also from prestigious universities and there are there for very specific research purposes.

So yea, I mean if coming to Japan does benefit your field of discipline, go ahead.

You might want to contact the Japanese Embassy and seek more info about scholarships and etc.

Good luck!!

Last edited by tommasi : 07-12-2008 at 05:54 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Thorn (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2008, 02:39 PM

There's also this program.

I don't know where your primary graduate interests lie, but if your goal is to get a non-specific graduate degree in Japan, maybe the program can be a contender.

-Thorn