JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#191 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Compared to what you can do with a masters in business administration in the US or any business related job, English teaching is not going to match that as far as income. Maybe after three years experience and making all the right contracts you could find a couple of jobs that combined would give you the equivalent.

The best job for you would probably be as an executive recruiter or working for a US firm in Japan. Recruiters make up the second largest profession in Japan for English speakers following teaching. Another option would be to start at one of the big teaching companies and work your way up into some sort of management postion which would take you a year or two.

Overall though, I am not 100% sure you are ever going to be able to match your earning potential in US by working in Japan. Why? Japanese companies have a different way of paying their employees that results in the lower level making more than US counterparts and the upper execs making less.
(#192 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Which company would you recommend me for teaching English while in Japan? If you can't answer wholeheartedly, just pretend you were in my shoes and was thinking about which company would suit me best for English teaching.
(#193 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-04-2007, 01:56 AM

I would start at Aeon, but then again maybe that is because it is where I want to work. Starting off in the JET program would be good, but maybe you are better suited for something like this:

F.I.A. provides professional language training to multinational corporate clients across scenic Shizuoka Prefecture in Japan. We are searching for professional English Teachers who are able to begin in summer 2007, for both our Intensive Language and On-the-Job programs.

REQUIREMENTS
- University degree
- Previous ESL/EFL experience
- ESL/EFL qualifications preferred

WE OFFER
- Starting salary 253,000 to 273,000 yen/month.
- Subsidized, semi-furnished accommodation
- Generous holiday package
- Ongoing professional development
- 1 year renewable contract, sponsorship

F.I.A.'s selection process requires a face to face interview, therefore, only candidates currently living in Japan need apply. Please send your resume and professional cover letter directly to F.I.A. to the:

Director of Personnel
F.I.A. Language Training

I just pulled this straight from Gaijinpot's job listings. There is no clear number one place to be in the world of teaching English in Japan. It is all about luck, timing and your ability to convince people that they would be retarded not to hire you.
(#194 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

06-04-2007, 03:05 AM

wow cool
what other benefits are there when u teahc in japan?

YOUR RIGHT NOTHING DOES LAST FOREVER, WE OBVIOUSLY PROVE THAT RIGHT

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/memb...-drawings.html
(#195 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2007, 03:08 AM

Why AEON and not the JET Programme? Also, I was only planning on doing this particular work for a year or so, so moving my way up in management doesn't sound to far off. Moving slightly off topic a bit, well off the teaching English topic, why do so many ALTs prefer to move in apartments over hotels while staying in Japan? I mean, I've seen some quality hotels in Japan but usually I find that same "typical" person who prefers a 1,000- year-old apartment over a nicely furnished room in a hotel? Maybe its just me watching too many YouTube videos on living conditions as an ALT, but why is this?
(#196 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-04-2007, 05:57 AM

I have never met anyone who has or could live in a hotel for very long in this country. China is another story, but in Japan hotels are expensive. They are really small too. Most of the time you end up in the former ALT's apartment because it is the easiest way of doing things. Especially if it is already equipped with lights, a washer, etcetera. And you don't have to pay the key money and realtor fee. Most people I know have fairly nice apartments. I know a few who live in houses all to themselves for around the same price or less. Maybe the horror stories you've heard or seen had slobs for previous teachers.

I only said Aeon because you were asking about what type of company you could move up in. JET is not the type of place for that. If you are going to do the JET program, that is fine because you can still move on to other things afterwards. It is the best place to be if you are set on being an ALT.
(#197 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2007, 12:52 AM

I guess its just me not liking the hand-me-downs. Carrying on though, can someone with my status (BA and MBA carrier) teach at a University? I hear those who possess a master's degree qualify to teach English at Universities.
(#198 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osensei View Post
I guess its just me not liking the hand-me-downs. Carrying on though, can someone with my status (BA and MBA carrier) teach at a University? I hear those who possess a master's degree qualify to teach English at Universities.
Yes, you would need the graduate degree in teaching English along with lots of experience. And to get a full time job at a university, you also need to be published.
(#199 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2007, 03:07 AM

Published?
(#200 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-05-2007, 04:44 AM

Published as in written a book or a few articles about teaching English.

~writing on JF certainly would not qualify.