LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
Paulh (Offline)
New to JF

03-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURLYZ View Post
I live in Japan and both Pachipro and Banzai are correct.

Japan has a very complex and subversive culture. There are currents and eddies swirling around the conversations and communication that foreigners simply cannot fathom. But if you take the country at face value and don your favorite pair of rose-tinted glasses you will be blissfully unaware of the undercurrents and will probably have a good time.
That's all very well for some but not everybody has rose tinted glasses.
Mostly the dyslexics.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
SonOfBanzai (Offline)
Banned

03-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURLYZ View Post
I live in Japan and both Pachipro and Banzai are correct.

Japan has a very complex and subversive culture. There are currents and eddies swirling around the conversations and communication that foreigners simply cannot fathom. But if you take the country at face value and don your favorite pair of rose-tinted glasses you will be blissfully unaware of the undercurrents and will probably have a good time.
Yes, exactry, Japan very comprex, has 4 season.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-07-2007, 02:55 AM

what's bad??

well what really irks me are those ppl not offering seats ( in the train ) to those who really needs them, and some sit on the priority seats. This has happened several times already, that there is an old man or woman , occupying the seats are the high schoolers , they did not even bother to stand and offer the seat to the old lady. I was also standing so I can only offer her the handle bar near the door.

Right now, you can see a lot of posters in the train stations about this,so I guess the ppl also noticed this that some the youngster or even the not so young are slowly losing their manners, especially on public transportations..

Last edited by samokan : 03-07-2007 at 03:56 AM.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

03-07-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
what's bad??

well what really irks me are those ppl not offering seats ( in the train ) to those who really needs them, and some set on the priority seats. This has happened several times already, that there is an old man or woman , occupying the seats are the high schoolers , they did not even bother to stand and offer the seat to the old lady. I was also standing so I can only offer her the handle bar near the door.

Right now, you can see a lot of posters in the train stations about this,so I guess the ppl also noticed this that some the youngster or even the not so young are slowly losing their manners, especially on public transportations..
Thats unfortunate, I notices that as well, but every now and then I would see people give up seats for older people.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#95 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-07-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
Thats unfortunate, I notices that as well, but every now and then I would see people give up seats for older people.
yeah there are still some ppl giving up their seats though. But unfortunately, there are more people who don't than people who do.

Another thing also is it is lonely to get old here. Some might not agree with me, but I have met some old people here, and usually they would asked me how we treat old ppl in my country, some of them admits that they have not been in contact with their children for a long time, and that really saddens me.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

03-07-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
yeah there are still some ppl giving up their seats though. But unfortunately, there are more people who don't than people who do.

Another thing also is it is lonely to get old here. Some might not agree with me, but I have met some old people here, and usually they would asked me how we treat old ppl in my country, some of them admits that they have not been in contact with their children for a long time, and that really saddens me.
wow that’s surprising both of my host family’s had the grandparents living with them. (well one grandparent past away years before in one family) I thought a lot of Japanese people did this, talking care of the grandparents and what not.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#97 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-07-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
wow that’s surprising both of my host family’s had the grandparents living with them. (well one grandparent past away years before in one family) I thought a lot of Japanese people did this, talking care of the grandparents and what not.
nice to know. maybe its a case to case basis then, am not really sure what's the deal though . Maybe in the country side, its a different case, but in the city where apartments are small, enough for one family that maybe a little difficult ... am not sure

But what I admire from their old people here is there independence. Even though they are already walking very slowly with their pushcarts/chair they still manage to go to the grocery and buy veggies and other stuff ( am not sure if they live alone though )
(#98 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

03-07-2007, 04:25 AM

true smaller city’s like the one I was staying at might do this because there is more space (still not a lot lol) I generally see that most Japanese Families are close by American standers but still value there personal space (I haven’t met many Closter phobic Japanese either lol)

(#99 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-07-2007, 04:37 AM

oh yes they really reallly really value their personal space / privacy. It was even discussed how far are we going to protect the personal space of each person. There was a case in the news last year, an old man living alone, was found dead cause he slip in his room and he was unconscious , no one bother to check on him when he did not go out because they thought he needed some privacy.. after a couple of days, the kanrinin finally decided to check on him and found him dead.

Then we they were hit by the spyware winny, there was a big issue on protection of personal information. All personal information must not be disclosed, somehow it was blown out of proportion that somehow I find it really amusing
(#100 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

03-07-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
oh yes they really reallly really value their personal space / privacy. It was even discussed how far are we going to protect the personal space of each person. There was a case in the news last year, an old man living alone, was found dead cause he slip in his room and he was unconscious , no one bother to check on him when he did not go out because they thought he needed some privacy.. after a couple of days, the kanrinin finally decided to check on him and found him dead.
Oh my God, That so sad ... the same thing happend in the town I was in...

There was this old man that lived next to one of the English Teachers, and he attempted to commit suicide by lighting himself on fire, well half way threw this he decided he wanted to live, and put himself out. But was in so much pain that all he could do was cry out for help…well the English teacher didn’t really know much Japanese and could hear this man, from the next building but couldn’t understand what he was, (there where other Japanese People there but did nothing ) an hour latter she couldn’t take it any more and Called ( called the local Japanese helper translator first) then the police. He latter died in the hospital but Just to think that no one did any thing because of personal space kind of sucks