LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
2) Would you hang out on a forum that is obsessed with *your* home country?
But forums that are obsessed with our home countries, the US and UK for Ash, want to kill us. Haha... ha... ha.... Oh, it's so sad... But I would blame politicians for most of those sentiments.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah. The Ireland forum is full of Irish folk.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisuwashi View Post
Yeah. The Ireland forum is full of Irish folk.
Let me reword that - Would you hang out on a forum that was obsessed with your country *that you didn`t understand or speak the language of*? I vote no.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-19-2007, 11:08 AM

I just thought I`d post my own personal experiences to compliment those of Pachipro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachipro View Post
- Dealing with governmental offices and immigration can be very tiresome and cumbersome, but it is that way for the Japanese also. You just learn to live with it.
We`ve had absolutely wonderful experiences with immigration and government offices. Our marriage and visa changing, etc, was about as smooth as I can imagine it being. As I hear everyone, everywhere (foreigner and Japanese) complain about how awful their experiences were, I have to say that we must be a huge exception.

Quote:
- Trains are very crowded as are most of the major cities; more than most people have ever experienced in their life, but you either get used to it or you leave.
They are. Even out in the countryside, if it`s a train heading for the city, it`s going to be packed. But this is only at peak hours. Morning and evening when people are going to work and coming home. Any other time and you`ll feel like you`re the only person on board. I am used to it, and don`t really notice it unless I have my son with me, and then I`ll fight like the best of them to secure space and a seat.

Quote:
- If you want to live in Tokyo it is very expensive.
I definitely second the expense of Tokyo bit. I personally would never choose to live there. Other large cities in Japan may not be as huge, but offer just as much flavor, and are much much more affordable.
Regarding apartments - recently the deposits and such have gone down quite a lot. It`s become pretty popular for rental offices to offer very low deposit apartments, and to make theirs more appealing a lot of landlords have lowered theirs. 10 years ago, we rented an apartment that required 3 months deposit and 3 months thank you money. When we moved out, only 1 month`s worth came back. 5 years ago we rented a very nice apartment (inner city), and it was no thank you money, 2 month deposit. We got almost all of it back. It`s been going down pretty rapidly recently.
I`ve never personally had any problems with thin walls, but we`ve always lived in nice places. I imagine the cheaper you go, the worse it is.
But central air/heat? Don`t expect it ANYWHERE. You`d might as well say it doesn`t exist in Japan.

Quote:
- It is impossible to conveniently drive anywhere.
While I agree that the train system in Japan is wonderful, I`m going to say the driving trouble is a mainly Tokyo thing. Anywhere else though, and you`ll probably want a car.
I personally drive everywhere that it is possible to, and don`t experience any problems. If you know which stores have parking lots that give free hours in return for small purchases, you can also park for close to free just about anywhere in Nagoya. We`ve also driven around about half of Japan without any problems.

Quote:
- If you are a foreigner you WILL be targeted by the police and asked for your passport or alien registration card on some occassions. Expect it!
I`ve been expecting it for the past 9 years, and it`s never happened. Maybe it`s more common in Tokyo where there is more petty crime. Or maybe it`s because I`m female. I`ve used my driver`s license for all my identification for the past few years, and have never been asked to use my registration card.

Quote:
Contrary to what Gloobey said, the Japanese police are very helpful and will assist you in any way they can.
I have to second this. I`ve had nothing but pleasant experiences with our local police force. I`ve found the police here to be more "normal people" than the police where I grew up. They`ve been nothing but friendly and kind to me.

Quote:
- As a foreigner you will be stared at many times, especially in the country and kids will point at you.
I think the blatant staring has been toned down quite a lot in recent years. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I`ve felt I was being stared at. Usually it`s little elementary schoolers who think it`s funny to scream "Hello! How are you!" at you in front of their little friends.

Quote:
- Japanese will call you "gaijin" (外人) because gai (外) means outside and jin (人) means person. In other words, you are not Japanese.
This is a matter I have mixed feelings on. I have been accepted by those around me, and am not usually called "gaijin" (although I`ll use it as a joke to refer to myself, or others) I`ve always noticed that the better you speak the language, the less problems there are. As I`ve been here since I was technically a child, if I`m asked how long I`ve been in Japan I just say "since I was a child"... 9 times out of 10, I`m treated as a Japanese with a gaijin face. And that is what it really is, appearance. I`ve never felt discriminated against, but people have been afraid to talk to me because I look like I can`t speak Japanese. I do, and fluently so, so there is usually no trouble after we do speak though.

Quote:
- No matter how long you have lived in Japan you will be asked the "20 question routine" by many Japanese including those who have known you a long time.
I avoid this one by just answering, "Well I`ve been in Japan since I was a child..." and the questions end as if by magic.

Quote:
- Japanese culture is very unique in the world and when a fad hits, it hits the whole country all at once in what the Japanese call a "boom".
This is true. I think it`s toned down a LITTLE bit compared to when I first got here, but it is still going strong.

Quote:
- Many people put down the Japanese because of their sex industry and their treatment of women.
My personal feelings are that it is better out in the open - the Japanese girls who work there choose to do so, and generally enjoy their jobs, and are well taken care of. I`m not going to comment about any foreign sex industry workers because I`ve heard all sorts of things (good and bad) so I really don`t know what is true, and what is overblown hyperbole.

Quote:
Not all, but many Japanese women enjoy their status in Japan and for many their only dream is to get married, have children and run a family. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Who are we foreigners to demand change in that area? If the Japanese women desire change they will have it.
This is exactly what I meant when I said I preferred the Japanese way of treating women. It may look as if women don`t have as many choices or options, but I think that they do have more freedom in their own way.
Just as an example, to compare to the US - A woman in the US who gives up her career to care for her children at home is "crazy", and a woman who chooses to be a stay-at-home wife is "lazy"... Or "being oppressed by her husband". So while there appears to be freedom, there isn`t any as women are judged pretty harshly by other women. I prefer the Japanese way that puts the child first.
Gloobey is right in saying that, in general, the government doesn`t go after the father to make him pay for his children. However, instead of squeezing child support payments out, they provide free housing, free childcare, free schooling, free support groups and even job introductions for single mothers. Which is better? I don`t know, but as long as the children are being properly provided for and it works...

Quote:
- Many foreigners find Japanese TV to be childish and stupid. I enjoyed Japanese TV.
It`s stupid until you get it - and then it can be hilarious. But I don`t go out of my way to watch it. Some of it really *is* stupid. It all depends upon what you`re watching. Having lived in Japan for so long, whenever I watch US tv it all seems so... fake.

Quote:
- Yes there is crime in Japan and horrendous murders as with any other country, but you will more often than not find that most of the crime is committed against family members by other family members and people the perpetrator knows.
As I said in my original comment - I`d much rather see a week`s worth of in depth reports on one horrendous crime than have the newscaster rush through a list of 10 each night.

Quote:
However, the crime rate in Japan is far, far, far lower than in the US, England, or other countries of the world.
There is a lot of news about crime increasing recently... Don`t take them for face value. There have been a lot of improvements in the police force and a lot of changes in laws, which of course means that more crimes are reported and more events are categorized as crimes... If you take that into account, the crime rate has actually gone *down* in the past 20 years. It is very very safe here. Seriously, my parents-in-law DO NOT HAVE A LOCK on their door. It`s not a matter of not locking it - there is no lock to lock. The same with their neighbors, and yet the worst that has ever happened is some kid came in and stole ice cream out of the freezer.
We`re in the city, and a bit more paranoid so we lock our doors... But really, Japan is very very safe.

Quote:
- If you are European or Canadian, Japanese will automatically assume you are an American.
I don`t know if it`s how I look or what, but everyone around here asks me if I`m Canadian.

(#45 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Wow, that was a long reply... I didn`t realize it was so huge when I wrote it...

Anyway now on to things I personally don`t like.

-Taxis, they`re awful and deserve to die. They do not follow ANY of the traffic laws, and yet manage not to be pulled over.

-The awful dust accumulation in certain seasons. That terrible dust that blows over here from mainland Asia. That stuff is incredibly frustrating. It comes in the windows, covers the glass, etc.

-The lack of zoning. Or... the fact that there are factories sitting next to houses sitting next to shops sitting next to a school sitting next to a parking lot..etc. I know they`ve started being a little more strict with zoning laws for recently built areas, but otherwise it`s all a huge jumble. While it can make things pretty convenient sometimes, it sucks to not be able to get away from the sound of factories wherever you go.

- And my personal pet peeve: The lack of upkeep for parks, city facilities, etc. This may just be something around here, but there are about 10 parks within bicycle distance of my house. Only one is properly cared for. The others have been sort of left to their own devices. Sometimes a parent will cut the grass, but otherwise the park really just looks like an open, overgrown lot with rusty dirty play equipment. Now, I can understand if the city can`t afford it... But instead of cleaning the old parks up, they *totally ignore them* and build brand new parks... Which they then ignore, and build even more parks. It`s such a waste. They`re like disposable parks. There is this huge park by the river near our place which I imagine was beautiful when it was cared for - huge flower gardens, statues, etc... But it looks like no one has bothered with it for about 10 years... So of course, no one uses it, and most people don`t even know about it. So they appeal for more parks, and the city makes new ones, and brags about it... Only to ignore them after a year or so.

(#46 (permalink))
Old
Van (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Seriously, my parents-in-law DO NOT HAVE A LOCK on their door. It`s not a matter of not locking it - there is no lock to lock. The same with their neighbors, and yet the worst that has ever happened is some kid came in and stole ice cream out of the freezer.
lawl XD again thanks all for the infos
(#47 (permalink))
Old
curious_jane (Offline)
"SIT BOY!!"

Send a message via Yahoo to curious_jane
01-19-2007, 03:23 PM

Soooo, whats the "20 question routien"? Is it any different than what we would give?
We have locks here, but we hardly use them.

"...tears don't fall, they crash around me.
My conscience calls, guilty sin come home."
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Okimoto_Tatsuki (Offline)
.KUBOnoSHUGAitami

01-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:

....yes because i weird like that XD i just find it interesting o.o
(#49 (permalink))
Old
jasmine (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2007, 09:33 AM

It was a shock
I put the thread and came to check it 4 days later to find 6 full pages and I was like ( oh my god is Japan that bad ?!
Then it took me a wile to read all the posts and I could clearly see every body's selfishness in his or her answer
First of all I did not wanna start any arguments or fights within the forum and I hope I did not
Second so far I didn't see any thing that convinces me to change my mind about Japan
For racism.. I'm from Iraq , it's a country where people get killed, tortured or kicked out of their houses because of racism, so let me tell you something about racism .. It's every where , no one can say he is not racist even me when I said " Japanese people are great" . So a weird look or a stare is not an issue to me, and I even heard someone in this forum say that people wanted to know him just because he was a foreigner or "gaijin"
About two faced people, doesn't any of you want to deal with people who are nice to him, wouldn't it be easier for all of you to work in a friendly environment. And I think it's a wonderful think to know that there are people who could keep their customs and traditions for decades and did not loose them to the western culture witch is based on individuality and selfishness, so don't say they are outdated, if it works for them who are we to say the opposite.
This is our problem, we tend to measure every thing by our own criteria, but it doesn't work for every body , so if you don’t like it in Japan then leave>
I'm sitting now listening to the wind out side my window and envy each one of you because you can turn on a heater or an air conditioner while I can't because I don’t have electricity but a small generator which is made in Japan. It's big enough to operate the computer few lights and the freg , and I'm thinking now that any where is better than here, and you are talking about noisy electric cables wait until you hear the sound of the generator to make a new definition for noise, and some of your biggest issues are smoking or drinking?!
That’s why I said I can see your selfishness, if you count your blessings instead of complaining about miner things you will find out how fortunate you are.
Finally , I say again I'm not convinced , and I'm still in love with Japan and I wish I can go there some day ( which is by the way in my ten things I wanna do in my life list ^_^)
Now I'm gonna go and make my favorite drink using my made in Japan blinder
(#50 (permalink))
Old
curious_jane (Offline)
"SIT BOY!!"

Send a message via Yahoo to curious_jane
01-21-2007, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry if I came across selfish I usually watch whats happening in other parts of the world, but I to.......*lost for words*........I'm glad that you still have dreams that you want to complete.

"...tears don't fall, they crash around me.
My conscience calls, guilty sin come home."