JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
beu (Offline)
New to JF

I want to teach SPANISH in Japan... any chance? - 08-21-2008, 02:50 AM

Ok... apparently I'm not able to teach English in Japan, since English isn't my mother tongue.

How about spanish? Any suggestions? I've met a few japanese here in Mexico... so there's a little chance that there are people who could be interested in learning spanish.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
08-21-2008, 03:01 AM

Just doesn't sound like a good idea.
They don't need Spanish teachers/translators like the U.S, Canada and South America do.
You'd be alot more successful in one of those three countries.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-21-2008, 03:23 AM

Just like there are people in America and Europe fascinated with Japan, there are also people in Japan fascinated with Mexico and South America. I think it's worth looking into.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-21-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post

Just doesn't sound like a good idea.
They don't need Spanish teachers/translators like the U.S, Canada and South America do.You'd be alot more successful in one of those three countries.

What's your source of information? Japan has MUCH stronger ties with South America than you think. There are even TV and radio programs teaching Spanish in Japan.

NHK外国語講座
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2008, 05:14 AM

In Vancouver there are a number of mining companies and they have a strong need for Spanish language ability, along with Portuguese, because they do a lot of business in Latin America.

In Japan the interest would mostly be from individuals who want to travel to Spanish speaking places. It's a bit of an area of specialization compared with English, however, so I would advise staying in Tokyo or Osaka.

Also bear in mind that a large number of ethnic Japanese have succeeded in obtaining long-term residence in Japan. That's your competition. So it might not be as easy as it used to be.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sirgonzalo (Offline)
New to JF

08-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Only one advise Spanish speaking places are not only in latin America....places in europe

If you know any site or academy to teach spanish in japan please let us know
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-21-2008, 11:15 AM

I have no idea about your chances. But I am 100% sure there are language schools in Japan that teach spanish, so why not try if it's something you really want to do? Do the research is all I'm saying.

なんでやねん!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

08-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
Ok... apparently I'm not able to teach English in Japan, since English isn't my mother tongue.

How about spanish? Any suggestions? I've met a few japanese here in Mexico... so there's a little chance that there are people who could be interested in learning spanish.
I think depending on your credential, you might have a very successful career in Japan teaching Spanish or work in trade related fields.

Good luck and look into possible jobs.

I know few people who make living out of teaching Spanish in Japan and they make good money.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
PlofAta (Offline)
New to JF

Teaching spanish in Japan - 04-07-2009, 04:41 AM

Even if you can't find a regular job in Japan, you can always try to register to some websites which will introduce you to students of the spanish languages or others.
Find students for all languages.
Well, it's usually a small income but still better than nothing

Anyway, good luck!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sanchome (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Besides the obvious teaching Spanish in Japan option, there are definitely companies from Spanish speaking countries that do business with Japanese companies, so there must be some work for translators in Japan. You could try that angle as well.

Good luck!