JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
bioload (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2008, 05:36 AM

Oh thanks everyone for your great ideas. Yeah, like many of you suggested I do wish to get gifts that are unique to seattle/united states. I do like the idea of chocolates and coffee. not too sound too greedy but, any more ideas?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-01-2008, 05:47 AM

California wine. It's uniquely american and will dispell the notion that french wines are so great
(#13 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-01-2008, 04:40 PM

dunno if this would be appropriate for your tutor but when i went to Japan i gave my host sisters fashion magazines from the us and they really liked those

hello kitty clan leader
anime romance clan delegate

バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド ;]
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelazors View Post
dunno if this would be appropriate for your tutor but when i went to Japan i gave my host sisters fashion magazines from the us and they really liked those
Great idea for a tutor, if he/she is an adult. as a teacher many people fgave me sake as a gift. Gifts of Sake, or wine, are completely appropriate and traditional for tutors or teachers. people in Japan drink.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
memechibiriku (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM

[quote=bioload;573184]Hope I posted in the correct forum, please move thread if not.

Greetings! I hope you guys can help me out, this is a serious life or death crisis . Here is my situation... in less than a month, I will be moving to Tokyo for a research project in a neurobiology lab for the next year. I've got just two questions!

1. I am not quite attuned to japanese culture, so just wondering if it's normal/expected/weird/too much to give my future professor and tutor a gift?If so...

>> I think it is depen on person whether it is weird normal expected.

2. What shall I get them? In Japan, is there some sort of traditional gift that students give to their teachers (like giving an apple)? Here's a brief profile/my relations of/to them...

>>>> yes there are many sort of traditional gifts however I'm not sure that
students give to their teachers or not . will you visit as a student?
I think it is enough to give small your coutri's gift. candy
something special.

Professor: male, middle-aged, well-known in the field, head honcho, even though I will be working in his lab I probably won't see him often.

Tutor: female, in her twenties, will be working closely with her, the person that will be showing me the ropes for the next year.

>>>> small local gift plus your family's pictures and your hometown's one
will be pleased I think.

Thanks,

J[/QUOTE
(#16 (permalink))
Old
memechibiriku (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM

[quote=bioload;573184]Hope I posted in the correct forum, please move thread if not.

Greetings! I hope you guys can help me out, this is a serious life or death crisis . Here is my situation... in less than a month, I will be moving to Tokyo for a research project in a neurobiology lab for the next year. I've got just two questions!

1. I am not quite attuned to japanese culture, so just wondering if it's normal/expected/weird/too much to give my future professor and tutor a gift?If so...

>> I think it is depen on person whether it is weird normal expected.

2. What shall I get them? In Japan, is there some sort of traditional gift that students give to their teachers (like giving an apple)? Here's a brief profile/my relations of/to them...

>>>> yes there are many sort of traditional gifts however I'm not sure that
students give to their teachers or not . will you visit as a student?
I think it is enough to give small your coutri's gift. candy
something special.

Professor: male, middle-aged, well-known in the field, head honcho, even though I will be working in his lab I probably won't see him often.

Tutor: female, in her twenties, will be working closely with her, the person that will be showing me the ropes for the next year.

>>>> small local gift plus your family's pictures and your hometown's one
will be pleased I think.

Thanks,

J[/QUOTE
(#17 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-02-2008, 08:20 PM

i just remembered some other gifts i gave to my host family before:
some t-shirts from ucla
postcards from hollywood