JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
newman (Offline)
New to JF

Cool Advice for living in Tokyo for 1-2 years - 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi,

i have plans to go to tokyo to study japanese language for 1-2 years. and i need some advice.

I have no preference for where to locate in tokyo. I just want a nice (and reasonably priced) serviced apartment which has a english international pre-school within walking distance.

where would you suggest?

how much should i buget for a year for 2 adults and a kid?

thank you
Newman
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Out of curiosity, how do you expect to stay? There are quite a few threads here you can look into, but that aside, you'll need a Visa first and foremost. Are you going to get a job so that you can stay there or go over on something like a Student Visa since you want to study the language?

Sorry I can't be much more help than this, just need some specifics towards your situation.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
newman (Offline)
New to JF

09-26-2008, 08:39 AM

1) i will arrive as a tourist and go back every 3 months and re-enter 1 week later. If i can get a student visa from those language study program, that will be good. if not, its not a problem. i like to go back to home country every couple of months

2) no, i am not going to get a job. As long as i have a internet connection, i can work from home.

if there are other threads, can you point me to those threads. thank you
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
1) i will arrive as a tourist and go back every 3 months and re-enter 1 week later. If i can get a student visa from those language study program, that will be good. if not, its not a problem. i like to go back to home country every couple of months

2) no, i am not going to get a job. As long as i have a internet connection, i can work from home.

if there are other threads, can you point me to those threads. thank you
You'll only be allowed 1 (possibly 2, YMMV) consecutive, immediate renewals on your tourist visa, unless you are leaving Japan for several months before returning.

If you want to do it right, you'd best get yourself accepted at a school and get your student visa. It will save you a lot of trouble and expense if you can do this before arriving in Japan.

If you come to Japan on a tourist visa, you may be able to apply at a school and get them to sponsor you for a student visa, but a tourist visa lasts only 90 days, and it can take 60 days or so for the paperwork to be processed. You may have to leave the country and return to get your tourist visa renewed if you can't get your paperwork started early enough.

When (and if) you are approved for a student visa, you can take the paperwork to the immigration office and have your visa status changed.

Japan has begun looking more closely at those who are getting back-to-back tourist visas. Don't be surprised if they refuse to give you one, particularly if you are not from a "western" country.

If you make enough income from your "internet job", and are willing to report and to pay taxes on the income to Japan, you may be able to sponsor yourself for a visa after your student visa expires.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-26-2008, 05:27 PM

That's for him, but what about his wife and child? They have to have visas, too. Where do you plan on sending your child to school? I don't believe student visas come with a (+spouse) option.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
09-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Hiya

If you wish to stay for two years, a student visa would be the best option. If you live in the UK it will be quite easy for you;

Embassy of Japan in the UK

If you live in a visa exempt country, then depending on which country you live, you can stay from 6 months to 90 days max;

Embassy of Japan in the UK

Anyway if you have a student visa, a spouse visa should be easy to aquire, as long as you can prove you have the funds to support yourself and your family. As for conducting your business online, I highly doubt you should even mention that in your application, it will be classed as working while on your visa and you will be refused for definate (just keep that info to yourself ).

If you got cash to burn exit and re-entry is a visa free method, but it is gonna cost a shit load of money compared to getting a student visa and returning home once every 6 months or so.

Well good luck to you and hope you find the best method for you and your family.