(#31 (permalink))
Old
thalia4 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Location: Somewhere in the world maybe JP. " A fatal attraction to CUTENESS" HL
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If this thread heats up I will be closing it, so let's see if a civil discussion can take place.

Language-wise Korean (S. Korea) and Japan are very similar, but the social structure on the surface may seem similar, but there are fundamental differences.

We often hear about how Japanese value harmony within a group, and that is true, but competition is also valued. Average test scores between different homerooms are ranked, pushing students to work harder to not be the lowest class.

In Korea that harmony is valued, but in a different way. It isn't about harmony as much as everyone being the same.

I heard a first-hand story from an English teacher in a Korean high school. Cheating was not discouraged on tests as it "spread the knowledge" among students. The hope was for everyone to get the same score. During one test the teacher left the room, and many of the students began cheating. At the end of the day one of the smarter students went to the teacher and told him who had been cheating. The next day the teacher told the class that the girl was a rat, and she shouldn't be trusted. No one in her class ever spoke to her again, and she ended up changing schools.

This is just an example, and I have never been to Korea but have taught Japanese to dozens of Korean kids. The main problem I had to deal with was cheating. Part of the reason was I had mixed age kids in the classroom, so younger kids had to bow down to whatever the older kids said. Often that meant sharing work and showing tests.

I remember one time another teacher caught two Korean boys smoking. The boys were separated and the younger boy could not admit the older boy was smoking, even if it meant he would get in more trouble for lying. The words wouldn't come out of his mouth, as the repercussions from the Korean community for being a rat were worse than anything the teachers could dish out as punishment.

I did teach in an Japanese high school, and did deal with cheating a couple times, but it was never students sharing their work, but individuals making cheat sheets for themselves.
Also korean boys look good as in they are cute Japanese guys do to.

Abdc
*Quest Crew & Beat Freaks*
*Fan of the Cocky Guys & So real*
*GACKT FAN CLUB ME & VAMPIRE CLAN*
NARUTO FAN CLUB FAMILY
Me(sakura), Narutoluvr(misa),zachart(Ichigo),ariana,Silveremperial(sora)kiyuga(nara),sm ilexfreak7( vampire princess),xrachellex (Miyuki),rukamency,lulu,totorono,Auran,Orihimegirl,katchan6 (mello),Sakurasan, KittyKyo,drummachick
(#32 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
I've only ever been to Korea, I havent visited Japan yet, But Korea isn't big on learning english, learning chinese-yes.

Foodwise, the soups are very similar, But apart from that Koreans tend to pickle food and eat less meat.
I am afraid these statements are kind of false.

First both countries have compulsory English language programs starting from elementary school. Now if you compare average TOEFL scores, South Korea outranks Japan despite having fewer English learners. That would lead me that the ROK is a bit more serious about their English studies. On the Chinese language I would say there are more Korean students interested in learning it than Japanese students simply based on the number of students from the respective countries I encountered in Beijing.

On the food aspect, the differences I feel would be that Koreans tend to eat spicier food and more meat than Japan. Take for example each countries more traditional cooking, Japanese food centers more around seafood than anything else versus Korean food that has popularized their style of barbecue throughout East Asia. On the pickled food aspect I would wager that they are equals. However Korea leans more towards the spicier side whereas Japanese pickled food has a more vinegary taste.

edit~ I would though say that Korea has a stronger Buddhist tradition than Japan meaning more vegetarian fare so in that sense you could be right.

Also I would like to know how different their rice is. Japanese people allege that Chinese rice is smelly and not as "mochi" (chewy) as their own, but no one ever mentions Korean rice.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 10-19-2008 at 11:31 AM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-19-2008, 11:46 AM

On the theme of Koreans are more patriotic than Japanese, I would consider:

First, all Korean boys (maybe girls too) are required to serve in the armed forces when they come of age. This sort of indoctrination forms a very strong nationalistic attitude before they go off to universities. Having a constant enemy to the north, the DPRK, plays a huge role in the South Korean psyche of strong nationalism.

Second, Japanese can't honestly be overtly nationalistic anymore. Even within their own country when for example someone suggest making sure all students stand and sing the national anthem people start raving about Japan returning to imperialistic times. And the fact that Japanese kids don't know their national anthem has nothing to do with patriotism. The song is a) confusing and b) boring (Not my words, straight from a sixty plus year old Japanese man).

Anyways, I would definitely support the statement about it being more a differences in personalities.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
On the theme of Koreans are more patriotic than Japanese, I would consider:

First, all Korean boys (maybe girls too) are required to serve in the armed forces when they come of age. This sort of indoctrination forms a very strong nationalistic attitude before they go off to universities. Having a constant enemy to the north, the DPRK, plays a huge role in the South Korean psyche of strong nationalism.

Second, Japanese can't honestly be overtly nationalistic anymore. Even within their own country when for example someone suggest making sure all students stand and sing the national anthem people start raving about Japan returning to imperialistic times. And the fact that Japanese kids don't know their national anthem has nothing to do with patriotism. The song is a) confusing and b) boring (Not my words, straight from a sixty plus year old Japanese man).

Anyways, I would definitely support the statement about it being more a differences in personalities.
You make it sound like most Japanese in general want to be overtly nationalistic but can't. I don't think that's the case... certainly not in my experience with Japanese people and culture.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Maybe nationalistic is not the correct word for it. I think extremely ethnocentric would better description.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Maybe nationalistic is not the correct word for it. I think extremely ethnocentric would better description.
You are saying Japanese people are extremely ethnocentric?

That's worse than nationalistic and less true, in my experience.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
wunir (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to wunir Send a message via Skype™ to wunir
10-19-2008, 04:32 PM

like koren drama ... I watch a lot ... trust me too much fun

Me Big in Japan ... maybe not
blog
(#38 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2008, 04:56 PM

I like both countries and culture...

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#39 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You are saying Japanese people are extremely ethnocentric?

That's worse than nationalistic and less true, in my experience.
You're right. I should not have written extremely.

In your experience through JET, where exactly did they place you? Second question, were there any foreigners in the schools you taught in? Lastly, how many times did you hear "because I am Japanese" provided as reasoning for everything from not liking spicy food to watching baseball?