JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ptbrock (Offline)
New to JF

Cell Phones - 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for some general information about getting a cell phone in japan.
The main things I'm looking for are:
1) Pros/cons of AU, Softbank, Docomo, etc.
2) About how much should I expect it to cost per month (obviously this depends on how much I use it, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate)
3) What services are pretty standard vs. what do you have to pay extra to add to your plan.

Just trying to plan ahead so I have some idea what's up before I walk into a store and am given the run around by the sales person. Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

10-11-2008, 05:11 AM

I can only speak for softbank,

First of all I had to buy the phone as I could not get a 2 year contract (where you don't pay up front for the phone). I got one of the cheaper ones, which were around 17k yen. I got the "double white plan" which seemed pretty decent. Basically you pay around 1300 yen per month to get:

* Sms and mail service ( was around 350 yen/month, but I really think you need it)
* Free calls and sms to other softbank users (cept calls between like 9pm and 4 or 5 am, which cost the normal rate)
* Rate is 10,5 yen / 30sec to all other phones and handsets (in Japan ofc).
* Sms is free to softbankers, mail costs a little (depending on size&content) as you gotta connect to the internet.

Could also just get the regular white plan, which basically drops 900~ yen from the monthly fee and doubles the call rate.

Prices will differ if you can get the two year plan I'm sure.

I heard from a friend who got AU that they could get their two year plan, and then cancel after a year (so they did not have to pay for the phone up front), the cancellation fee is something around 10k yen though.

なんでやねん!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-11-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrock View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for some general information about getting a cell phone in japan.
The main things I'm looking for are:
1) Pros/cons of AU, Softbank, Docomo, etc.
2) About how much should I expect it to cost per month (obviously this depends on how much I use it, but I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate)
3) What services are pretty standard vs. what do you have to pay extra to add to your plan.

Just trying to plan ahead so I have some idea what's up before I walk into a store and am given the run around by the sales person. Thanks!
I used softbank and I'd recommend that you take someone with you to the store (where ever you go) who can translate the complicated terms if you're not fluent in Japanese.

You can find most of this information of the companies' respective websites, all of which have English versions

I
沖縄           My blog
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

10-11-2008, 10:03 AM

If you go to a big softbank store (and I recommend that you do), you can ask for someone that speaks english though. In Shibuya they had several employees with decent enough english.

なんでやねん!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
If you go to a big softbank store (and I recommend that you do), you can ask for someone that speaks english though. In Shibuya they had several employees with decent enough english.
That's where I got my phone when I was there. They were very nice and helpful, and were able to explain everything in very good English.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^