JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-11-2008, 03:37 AM

Are you kidding? You could be a 60 year old dressed in a banana suit in Akihabara, and no one would say a word (though some might look twice, trying to figure out who you were cosplaying, or wondering where you got the costume as they might want one too).

I've seen people in Tokyo dressed more strangely than what I just described. Every day here is Halloween (with a few other holidays mixed in), so don't worry about it.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Yogehi (Offline)
OMG WTF HAXORZ FTL

11-11-2008, 04:39 AM

i've seen plenty of old men/women at arcades in japan. mainly playing the card based games, but still games. i don't see a problem with age in the arcades

(#13 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
11-11-2008, 06:50 AM

Ha!

I think this is definately a legit fear!!!!!!

Honestly, I've freaked out about the same thing and I'm still in my teens.
I've never truelly been pressed with this issue, as I haven't gone to Japan.
but after I got interested in the Japanese language, my japanese friend introduced me to anime, and I found myself really liking it. And like any cartoon(American and Japanese alike, I'm a cartoon-aholic^^), it pretty much consumed my life. After about a year...I started noticing other people were interested in it, like a lot, like I was! And I was talking to them...and I noticed they were really annoying, and that there life seemed to revolve around anime... like there was nothing else......and I was scared and annoyed. When I started HS, I swore off anime...to the public, though for a while, I still slept with my plushies. lol^^
But I still now wonder, if this is Japanese culture, and I'm in Japan, trying to celebrate the culture, while not insulting it, would I be better off just accepting it, or pretending I don't really care...But idk, it's just.....a different world, you know?

As to your question, I don't think it will be a problem. As I've said, I haven't actually been to Japan(*sob*), but I know if I saw a cool looking old dude, in dress or in face, then I'd be like BOMB!!!!! And all excited, but if it was a nerdy dude all by himself, or with a bunch of nerds, I'd be like "Nerd! He lives with his mom"....which just shows you how judgemental I really am...And I figure if I'm this bad, and I consider myself a pretty nonbiased person, then the majority of the world could easily be worse...so it all depends.

But of course, the best advice anyone can give is.

F*** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell
(#14 (permalink))
Old
acidblue75 (Offline)
.....ok your speacial....

Send a message via MSN to acidblue75 Send a message via Yahoo to acidblue75
11-11-2008, 07:41 AM

i say who cares im 24 an still find time to pop in to an arcade to play .....guilty gearXX is a personal favorite

Dont take life to seriously noone ever makes it out alive
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-11-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakanaMidori View Post
Ha!

I think this is definately a legit fear!!!!!!

Honestly, I've freaked out about the same thing and I'm still in my teens.
I've never truelly been pressed with this issue, as I haven't gone to Japan.
but after I got interested in the Japanese language, my japanese friend introduced me to anime, and I found myself really liking it. And like any cartoon(American and Japanese alike, I'm a cartoon-aholic^^), it pretty much consumed my life. After about a year...I started noticing other people were interested in it, like a lot, like I was! And I was talking to them...and I noticed they were really annoying, and that there life seemed to revolve around anime... like there was nothing else......and I was scared and annoyed. When I started HS, I swore off anime...to the public, though for a while, I still slept with my plushies. lol^^
But I still now wonder, if this is Japanese culture, and I'm in Japan, trying to celebrate the culture, while not insulting it, would I be better off just accepting it, or pretending I don't really care...But idk, it's just.....a different world, you know?

As to your question, I don't think it will be a problem. As I've said, I haven't actually been to Japan(*sob*), but I know if I saw a cool looking old dude, in dress or in face, then I'd be like BOMB!!!!! And all excited, but if it was a nerdy dude all by himself, or with a bunch of nerds, I'd be like "Nerd! He lives with his mom"....which just shows you how judgemental I really am...And I figure if I'm this bad, and I consider myself a pretty nonbiased person, then the majority of the world could easily be worse...so it all depends.

But of course, the best advice anyone can give is.

F*** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^
I think you are only overthinking it by about 1000%.

Most arcades in Akihabara are full of 20 and 30 year olds who have no time to judge anyone else for hanging out in an Akihabara arcade because they themselves are hanging out in an Akihabara arcade.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well the specific meaning is a more polite version of Anata (you) like when you're talking about the other person's family or such. And I heard the little kids are using otaku as someone obsessed with anything
Interesting... I know that otaku is also the word for house/home. It's more polite than uchi/ie.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Interesting... I know that otaku is also the word for house/home. It's more polite than uchi/ie.
It technically is. But it`s used in a similar way as people use "uchi" to refer to self. Uchi is me/my house - Otaku is you/your house.

Oh and...
Quote:
Most arcades in Akihabara are full of 20 and 30 year olds who have no time to judge anyone else for hanging out in an Akihabara arcade because they themselves are hanging out in an Akihabara arcade.
This is the best answer for the thread.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.