JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
Kinda a stupid question... - 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM

ok I know work dominates your life as an adult but this has been on my mind for quite awhile....please don't laugh or flame me T.T

Ok like...is going shopping at (god smite me for my spelling) Akibahka? and like going to arcades and being a total Otaku like.....completly frowned upon? XD I know this sounds completly rediculous but I want to get this out before I lose sleep over thinking about this XD. Some people told me that being in your 20's and 30's at an arcade causes lots of people to like harass you and such. I seriously doubt that any of this happens but like I said thinking about this drives me crazy so I would like some other peoples opinions. *hides under rock*

PSN: Nemhy
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Obviously, this is going to depend on your specific behavior.
If you`re running about screaming like a 10 year old - then people will certainly be put off (to say the least).

But as for just going to those places - Why would they harass you? There are more than enough people of older age groups doing the same thing that you likely wouldn`t even stand out. And at the very worst, all you`ll get are raised eyebrows.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Hmmm....

I think the term Otaku is used differently in the West than in Japan.

My language buddy describes Otaku as guys who are into anime/manga/video games, who can't find a girlfriend and who are just all round, anti-social losers.

Whereas I believe people in the West call themselves Otaku if they are simply into anime/manga/video games but aren't necessarily losers.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM

ahh ok. it's just cause.... I remember there was this guy who was like....in his 30's? playing Time Crisis 3 and alotta people were giving him a hard time =/. guess it just dpeneds on the area.

I ment it in the wester definition lol. except me personally is a loser haha

PSN: Nemhy
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-10-2008, 12:20 PM

The arcade I used to go to in Nagoya always had it's fair share of salarymen well into their 30's and even 40's - perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Dude, if you go to Akiba to have fun, play games, buy stuff, whatever, it's not like people are gonna make fun of you. That would be like getting laughed at for cosplaying in Harajuku or being rich in Ginza...

But if you get all crazy and start imposing on people, then yeah, people might "frown upon" you (and more!).

なんでやねん!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
ok I know work dominates your life as an adult but this has been on my mind for quite awhile....please don't laugh or flame me T.T

Ok like...is going shopping at (god smite me for my spelling) Akibahka? and like going to arcades and being a total Otaku like.....completly frowned upon? XD I know this sounds completly rediculous but I want to get this out before I lose sleep over thinking about this XD. Some people told me that being in your 20's and 30's at an arcade causes lots of people to like harass you and such. I seriously doubt that any of this happens but like I said thinking about this drives me crazy so I would like some other peoples opinions. *hides under rock*
Why do you care ?? Do what ever u want f*** what other people think !

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Hmmm....

My language buddy describes Otaku as guys who are into anime/manga/video games, who can't find a girlfriend and who are just all round, anti-social losers.

Whereas I believe people in the West call themselves Otaku if they are simply into anime/manga/video games but aren't necessarily losers.
You're a rockin' guy Ronin, and you always have amazing things to say.

But man oh man, you are dead wrong here.

The fact that Oktaus exists, regardless of whatever country they're found in, are proof that the devil is real. And that abstinence doesn't work for everyone.

As for the above poster, it depends a great deal. I see a few old guys (I'm talking mid-40's to late 50's) at some of the conventions I've been too, which is incredibly weird. 20 to 30 is still really young, so long as you're not acting like you 10. Remember, time and place.

Though as far as arcades are concerned, it's my personal belief that age should never be a requirement. I'd shave off 10 years of my life if I could catch a grandpa tearing it up on a DDR machine, or a Vietnam vet playing Time Crisis 3.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Hmmm....

Well the specific meaning is a more polite version of Anata (you) like when you're talking about the other person's family or such. And I heard the little kids are using otaku as someone obsessed with anything
But yeah, otaku has become a word for anime obsessed people. And I mean like anti-social, never seen the sun; the works.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post

I'm in my 30's and have yet to be harrassed by someone if I go to the arcade. tho the place I go to even has way older people playing there. It's like open to all ages. Just I think that runts get run over by the older crowd. We're pretty much dominant. After certain hours it feels like you're going to some night club. There's always a line waiting to be let in by the bouncers.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0