JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question Culinary Schools in Japan - 12-21-2008, 05:41 AM

I'm trying to find a list of the bet culinary schools in Japan. Preferably a 2 year course. Any one have any info? I currently live in Maryland (US), But would like to enroll and be out of the country by roughly spring 2010.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2008, 06:45 AM

Oh boy... I wanted to go to Le Cordon Bleu Kobe (or Paris) so bad. I think there's one in Tokyo too. Culinary school anywhere is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

I can't think of any other schools in Japan... so if you don't get in or it's too expensive, you can try an exchange trip. You're pretty close by CIA (pretty decent school) if you're in Maryland.

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

Question 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Price shouldn't be much of an issue I think. I'm currently in the military and will be getting out this August (09). The G. I. Bill just increased from 42k to in my case roughly 100k .
I was also considering Ecole Hoteliere Tsuji in Osaka. I think therr is a branch now in Tokyo as well.
Thanks for the advice though. I was considering and still am the Le Cordon Bleu Kobe school. However What I really want to learn is Japanese cuisine.
My only major concern is this though, (And I'm sure this has been discussed in many other posts, of which hopefully you will be able to direct me towards) what is it like for a foreigner living in Japan? Hard to get by? Relatively easy? What level of language proficiency would I need to get by for starters?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Hooah, I finish medic school 30 Jul. 09. That GI bill is a beautiful thing.

I really don't know too much about learning Japanese cuisine. That was my idea back in the day but I really couldn't find much information. My plan was just to travel around learning from various chefs, after I graduated from a school.

Yeah bud, there's a million posts on the subject so I'll try to sum it up - It's definitely different than America. To live by yourself I think you'd need a decent knowledge of the language. At least enough to carry on a simple conversation, the bare minimum for survival - how much do you know? Check and see if classes are offered in English or Japanese also

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
theraw (Offline)
New to JF

12-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I've been checking stuff out all day on this site and man am I excited to start learning. My goal is to be out of the country no later than fall 09. I'm going to keep this topic open, but I want to branch of onto the subject of the culinary industry in Japan by way of starting a new thread. I hope more will be added to this one but I guess we'll have to see. Thanks for everything!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
gostallion (Offline)
New to JF

Culinary Schools - 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM

You should really get your Japanese language up to speed before venturing here especially if u're here for culinary classes otherwise it'll end up in a lot of frustration for you. Instructors here don't speak English (and they wouldn't care less), no way they will pick up a new langauage becos of 1 student. You should know basic Japanese terms used around the kitchen (and there terms and concepts used are sometimes difficult to translate into English) and when you find yourself in these circumstances you are really on your own.

That's one reason you don't really see great Japanese chefs from other races. Language is a major barrier. Next would be culture, Japanese chefs don't go to a cooking school, they are trained as apprentice, spent 10 years of their lives working their butt off for peanuts to learn the craft. You really need to check the syllabus of the schools on your list. Most do Western culinary courses catered to local Japanese or housewives.

In recent years there are Japanese cooking schools appearing especially in US. Most are founded by Japanese chefs who saw the need to train local people to work in the industry. One of which, California Sushi Academy was started to specifically help non-Japanese get some basics in Japanese cuisine.

Hope this helps
(#7 (permalink))
Old
gostallion (Offline)
New to JF

Culinary Schools - 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM

You should really get your Japanese language up to speed before venturing here especially if u're here for culinary classes otherwise it'll end up in a lot of frustration for you. Instructors here don't speak English (and they wouldn't care less), no way they will pick up a new langauage becos of 1 student. You should know basic Japanese terms used around the kitchen (and there are terms and concepts that are sometimes difficult to translate into English) and when you find yourself in these circumstances you are really on your own.

That's one reason you don't really see great Japanese chefs from other races. Language is a major barrier. Cultural difference is next, Japanese chefs don't go to a cooking school, they are trained as apprentice, spent 10 years of their lives working their butt off for peanuts to learn the craft. I dont think local Japanese here goes to a cooking school to learn Japanese cooking - the culture is different. You really need to check the syllabus of the schools on your list. Most do Western culinary courses catered to local Japanese or housewives.

For the same reason, in recent years Japanese cooking schools are seen especially in US. Most are founded by Japanese chefs who saw the need to train local people to work in the industry. One of which, California Sushi Academy was started to specifically help non-Japanese get some basics in Japanese cuisine.

Hope this helps
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-26-2008, 07:46 PM

To sum up what was said above, getting by living in Japan doesn't require a whole lot of Japanese. Taking classes in a culinary school will require far more Japanese, with a special emphasis on food and cooking terms (which may not be the typical vocabulary you'd learn in a Japanese language class.)

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan