JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

How difficult is it to get a job now? - 12-28-2008, 07:15 AM

Hey I am finishing school up and I was going to teach in Japan for a few years. However, I'm really worried about the economic situation right now. With the bad economy and NOVA falling. Is it very difficult to get a job as a teacher?

Anyone currently having problems finding one?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't think it's a big problem but you may have to make some compromises. ie. Living in the suburbs vs downtown Tokyo, teaching children vs adults, etc.

Either way, you'll be facing greater competition - especially from displaced teachers with teaching experience so make sure you create an advantage for yourself.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Nova collapsed over a year ago, and most of their teachers returned home. The ones that remained were absorbed by other schools, and the new Nova.

If you want to work as a teacher in Japan, you should time your application for the late winter or summer months, as this is the time when schools are looking for help for the spring and fall semesters.

Despite the bad economy, there is still a pretty good demand for teachers. Many people who have lost their jobs (or are trying to get a promotion) often study English. The Japanese government also has a program that pays for tuition as part of it's unemployment benefits, so teaching is one of the few fields which is largely untouched.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2009, 11:15 PM

NOVA collapsed because they kept expanding and expanding. It was a like a reverse Ponzi scheme.