JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rukia29 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to rukia29
Smile THinking of going to Japan - 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi GUys! I am new to the forum. My husband and I have 3 children and are thinking of living in Japan. Kinda need some guidance. We are taking Japanese classes at the Japan-america Society of Georgia, and my husband will also be taking japanese business language classes. We are not trying to move until the end of 2010, or beginig of 2011 so we have plenty of time to prepare. My question is this, my husbands degree is in networking communication and business mgt. He said he would a teaching for the year and maybe more or switch to his field if possible. My question is all of the teaching companies who recruit here seem to oly have the set up in mind for one person. Is there any way he can teach English and still bring us?? You're help would be great!!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2009, 03:00 PM

If he gets a job and they get him a visa, you and the children can apply for a dependents visa.
The only problem I see is supporting 5 people on a English teacher's salary.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
rukia29 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
If he gets a job and they get him a visa, you and the children can apply for a dependents visa.
The only problem I see is supporting 5 people on a English teacher's salary.
Yeah that is my concern as well..but I had also thought about selling on ebay while there to bring in extra income. Plus we would be going with 8,000usd saved. I found a nice apt for 77000yen whic is comparable to what it is here in the states all together I fig about 3,000usd a month for living. That is why we are visiting next year to get a feel of what it would cost! But any imput would be great
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Supporting a family of 4 on a teachers salary will be very tight. Unless he teaches at a University (which will require a graduate degree), he'll probably be making around 30,000 yen a month to start. Even if you're able to survive on that salary, you won't be having too much fun.

Make sure you look into the income tax situation as well. I know that in Canada, we're required to pay Canadian income tax ontop of the earnings we make in Japan. (Minus the payments we made in Japan but income tax rates in Japan are much lower.)

As for housing, you should be aware that you may be required to pay 5 to 6 months worth of rent before you can move into your rental property. Most of which are non refundable in the form of reikin (key money) and real estate agent fees. So in other words, you could be putting down close to $5,000 before you receive the keys to your front door!

FWIW, I'll be doing something similar to you this fall. I'm also in the I/T field, I also expect to start with a teaching job and although I'm single, I'm probably similar in age to your husband. I'm still in the planning stages myself but I plan on bringing no less than $20,000 to start.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukia29 View Post
Plus we would be going with 8,000usd saved.
I'm going for at least a year, supporting only myself, and I'll need to have around this much to make sure I can survive.

For a family of four, this will not be enough. Take into account key money when renting an apartment, which is 4-6 month's rent paid up front before you can even live in the place.

If you're serious about this, I'd highly suggest finding a job yourself over there; selling things on eBay will only get you so far. Consider also the global economy's effect on Japan living right now, and with only $8,000 to start you guys off, it'll be next to impossible to make it for the 5 of you.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
rukia29 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Supporting a family of 4 on a teachers salary will be very tight. Unless he teaches at a University (which will require a graduate degree), he'll probably be making around 30,000 yen a month to start. Even if you're able to survive on that salary, you won't be having too much fun.

Make sure you look into the income tax situation as well. I know that in Canada, we're required to pay Canadian income tax ontop of the earnings we make in Japan. (Minus the payments we made in Japan but income tax rates in Japan are much lower.)

As for housing, you should be aware that you may be required to pay 5 to 6 months worth of rent before you can move into your rental property. Most of which are non refundable in the form of reikin (key money) and real estate agent fees. So in other words, you could be putting down close to $5,000 before you receive the keys to your front door!

FWIW, I'll be doing something similar to you this fall. I'm also in the I/T field, I also expect to start with a teaching job and although I'm single, I'm probably similar in age to your husband. I'm still in the planning stages myself but I plan on bringing no less than $20,000 to start.
well maybe we should match that! WE are trying to do all of this legally. I know you can go on a tourist visa and iterview..which we had thaought about as well. We are going to visit next year. Yes in the ad the realtor sent me I saw the key money as well as the advanced rent and so on and so forth. Okay keep the tips coming I wonder with my visa if I could work as well??? HMM any thoughts?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Don't quote me too much on the details, but it's advised to get a work visa before you get over there. I think the reason is because you have to get it validated stateside, or in the country you're currently considered a citizen of. Therefore, you could go over there on a tourist visa and look for work, but you'd have to go back to your country, with your employer's help/signature, and get your visa changed to a work visa before you can work over there legally.

But like I said, don't quote me too closley on that.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
rukia29 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
Don't quote me too much on the details, but it's advised to get a work visa before you get over there. I think the reason is because you have to get it validated stateside, or in the country you're currently considered a citizen of. Therefore, you could go over there on a tourist visa and look for work, but you'd have to go back to your country, with your employer's help/signature, and get your visa changed to a work visa before you can work over there legally.

But like I said, don't quote me too closley on that.
Yeah I did know that!! I learned that from a lot of research. Yes you're quote is right on que!