JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Babbesyo (Offline)
New to JF

Dream to be Japan talent - 01-29-2009, 05:50 AM

Okay i have been working to become an actor or singer in Japan for ages now...
But I'm only a Teenager and my family Want me to work on becoming Something else i worked so hard on it for about 8 years now going to classes trying to learn the language but my family have had enough They keep telling me "oh you won't make it" or "it just a stupid idea" which isn't really helping so I'm Confused what should i do drop my dream cause i really care about my family or keep work on my dream and hope my family understand me?

any advice on how i can agree with my family or they can agree with me?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2009, 06:42 AM

I edited the title to reflect your question better.

I guess the question is, what do you have that will make you so worthy of Japanese screentime? Are you fluent enough in Japanese to hold a conversation? Are you a talented singer and/or actor?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Take as many acting/singing classes as you can. Then go to auditions, and you also need a talent agency. Start small, like join community theatres, act in plays and musicals. Nobody starts big, you have to work your ass off to be popular. YouTube is another place, do vlogs or maybe do song covers. If you are fluent in Japanese, then great. You know that Magibon chick on YouTube? She became a star just by staring on her camera and speaking some few japanese phrases. She even guested on Japanese TV shows. There's alot of way to be star, but you have to do alot of homeworks.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2009, 07:32 AM

I say aim lower

Become a good singer/actor first.

If you become good at that THEN think about your career.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kicho (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Kicho Send a message via Skype™ to Kicho
02-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Hm the problem with your family...I had and I still have this problem with my parents. That's why now I'm the UK studying something which is absolutely of no interest to me. I regret that I did have the courage to stand on my opinion and to convince my parents that I want to do something with music and not with business. I now how hard is to talk to them sometimes but try...another think that you can do is to try by yourself. I know it's really hard when no one is supporting you but if this is your dream hold on it. Anyway at some point they will realise eventually that this is what you want to do.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-21-2009, 04:10 AM

I recommend you to learn from this girl.

YouTube - ichigoemi's Channel

She uploaded her performance on Youtube from Australia and some Japanese musicians found her and promote her in Japan.

Now she is making many live performances in Japan working on other job.

Once I met her at her live show. She speaks Japanese well.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-21-2009, 05:17 AM

The possibility of you becoming a actor/singer in your home country times two. I'm no one to shoot down anyone's dreams, that's the last thing I'm trying to do. But it IS very unlikely, think of how many people want to do the same thing, and how many actually make it. But heck, work your heart out, and who knows. Might be the next Ai Otsuka ^_^

猿も木から落ちる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-21-2009, 10:59 AM

I think that your parents are more worried about you getting by if you don`t make it big than wanting to stop you from trying. You always need to have something to fall back on, if only to make some money so you can work on improving yourself.

Becoming a talent in Japan is no easier than becoming one somewhere else. You still need the skills and/or the connections to make it big. You can work hard on improving yourself while learning other skills that will help you if becoming famous doesn`t happen soon or at all.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
addictedKool (Offline)
JF Regular

03-21-2009, 07:02 PM

I have a friend whose ultimate dream is to become a lead singer in a band but she is also in college with me pursuing a major that she is also passionate about. So she's doing two things: trying to do something she always dreamed about as well as having a backup plan.

If you want to sing, go for it. But always have a plan B just in case.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
killyoself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-21-2009, 11:23 PM

If you are above average looks, taller than 5'10" and have a good figure then it shouldn't be too difficult to break into the talent scene in Tokyo through modeling. There are tons of modeling agencies in Tokyo that specialize in finding work for foreigners. I've noticed that many of the models in Japan would never be able to find a modeling job back home.

I reckon that's the quickest route. Not so much for modeling but for talent/acting work, it's very important to have a good grasp of the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishasu View Post
its very very nice for people to crush your dreams.