LinkBack Thread Tools
(#291 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think the key isn`t the environment, but the family backup and support. Perhaps things would be different if the network of family and friends was based in Japan.
As it is, it seems that GoNative`s wife wants to be close to family for reasons related to raising their daughter. No matter how you look at it, that isn`t going to happen in Japan.
That's right Nyororin and to be honest I will also appreciate some family help now and again. My wife and I (and daughter) recently went back to Aus to finalise the purchase of the house we will be moving to and we got to spend a whole day together whilst grandma got to look after our daughter. It was one of the first days we had together without our daughter in nearly 2 years. It was great! Having family around to help with things will be really, really nice.
I am keeping some business interests going in Japan so I will be heading back on a reasonably frequent basis and can claim each trip as a business expense!
And we are moving to a beautiful little country town on the coast. We are only about a 5 minute walk to a surf beach and there's also an inlet that will be great for my kayaking. So it won't be all that hard to adjust to. Trading in a snow lifestyle for a beach one. Life is just so hard...
(#292 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Yeah, poisonous snakes, jumping spiders, floods, and other recent natural disaster . . .

In all seriousness though, GoNative, wouldn't Japan be a better place to live than Australia, as far as raising a family goes? I suppose each country has its pros and cons, and Australia does have more space and a laid-back attitude, which is great with children, none of that hustle-and-bustle or cramped atmosphere . . . but at the same time doesn't Japan have lower crime rates and lower cost of living? There are quite a few countries I would say are perhaps 'better' to live in with children, but I wouldn't say Australia is one (as wonderful and varied as it is).

surely gonative loves the snow filled mountains. i was under the impression that australia was a land of opportunity. house prices have rocketed i believe.

fires can be a constant battle. as britain sent loads of child migrants out there--- maybe they thought it would be good place to live. personally i could not live in the heat but britain sent sent its convicts out there originally

certainly their wildlife is unique. any australians i have met have been really friendly and outgoing
(#293 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think the key isn`t the environment, but the family backup and support. Perhaps things would be different if the network of family and friends was based in Japan.
As it is, it seems that GoNative`s wife wants to be close to family for reasons related to raising their daughter. No matter how you look at it, that isn`t going to happen in Japan.

yes family backup makes a big difference. we didn't have any for our own children but we love helping out with our gr children.
(#294 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-11-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
surely gonative loves the snow filled mountains. i was under the impression that australia was a land of opportunity. house prices have rocketed i believe.

fires can be a constant battle. as britain sent loads of child migrants out there--- maybe they thought it would be good place to live. personally i could not live in the heat but britain sent sent its convicts out there originally

certainly their wildlife is unique. any australians i have met have been really friendly and outgoing
dogsbody Australia is a huge country. I think the UK could fit into Victoria which is the smallest of our mainland states. The whole of Europe could nearly fit into just the state of Western Australia. There is also huge differences in climate, it's not all blisteringly hot deserts. We do have quite a few ski resorts in Australia you know! Where I will be living down on the southern coast in Victoria the summers aren't any hotter than what we have up here in Hokkaido but the winters are defintiely not as cold or snowy. The Australian economy is currently booming fuelled by our abundance of natural resources and China's almost insatiable need for them. Australia is a very expensive place to live now though, far more expensive than here in Hokkaido which I'm not exactly looking forward to but the quality of life in a little coastal town will be pretty nice. The population is only a little over 4,000 which is quite a bit smaller than here in Kutchan which has a population of 15,000. I like small towns.

Last edited by GoNative : 03-11-2011 at 03:08 AM.
(#295 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-11-2011, 08:28 AM

I really thought I don't wanna live in Japan today. Earthquake scared me real bad

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#296 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
I really thought I don't wanna live in Japan today. Earthquake scared me real bad
I am watching the live cast now. This is incredible.
(#297 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am watching the live cast now. This is incredible.
as you are watching on TV, government assumes that after shock will continue for a month. I guess I won't be able to sleep well for a while.

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#298 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2011, 09:45 AM

I couldn't sleep that well in Japan anyway.

Well these people dying is very sobering.
(#299 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
dogsbody Australia is a huge country. I think the UK could fit into Victoria which is the smallest of our mainland states. The whole of Europe could nearly fit into just the state of Western Australia. There is also huge differences in climate, it's not all blisteringly hot deserts. We do have quite a few ski resorts in Australia you know! Where I will be living down on the southern coast in Victoria the summers aren't any hotter than what we have up here in Hokkaido but the winters are defintiely not as cold or snowy. The Australian economy is currently booming fuelled by our abundance of natural resources and China's almost insatiable need for them. Australia is a very expensive place to live now though, far more expensive than here in Hokkaido which I'm not exactly looking forward to but the quality of life in a little coastal town will be pretty nice. The population is only a little over 4,000 which is quite a bit smaller than here in Kutchan which has a population of 15,000. I like small towns.

thanks gonative. i almost migrated there when there was the ten pound trip offer from the uk. then i heard that in perth it was really hot and about scary animals-- lol-- so chickened out.

it does seem to be a great country though. i guess it depends where one lives. i would love to visit.
(#300 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

03-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
Damn, that IS scary. I'm glad stuff like that doesn't happen around here.
I hope everyone who's lost family will be OK. I know what they're going through since I lost family in the tsunami back in 2004 (not saying I know what the people in Japan are going throught, though).

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons