JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-02-2009, 09:19 AM

I guess the reason I'm being so inquisitive is that...

As I've learnt more and more about Japan and get to know more and more Japanese people. Now and then I see subtle signs of a sort of commonly held, inferiority complex when it comes to certain things.

I hope it's just my imagination... but this modelling situation seems to fit into my theory.... in fact it's the strongest indication I have (actually it's not even a theory.. it's just something I've noticed and I've wondered about rather than anything I believe in).

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 02-02-2009 at 09:21 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

02-02-2009, 10:11 AM

I want to focus on the psychology of the Japanese female consumer. I say this because if we start talking about ethnic demography, Japan is 99% Japanese and the majority of the remaining 1% are Korean and Chinese. If equal opportunity should be practiced in the modeling industry, then there should be almost no Caucasian models at all. But no one demands equal opportunity in everything.

The way I analyze the phenomenon of models in Japan often being Caucasian is that women often dispise other women who look prettier than themselves. I'm not saying that Caucasian women aren't pretty. But if a Japanese consumer finds a jacket worn by a beautiful Japanese model in a magazine,
it wouldn't arouse as much customer interest as it would when that same jacket was worn by a very pretty but very different-looking woman. If the model was clearly non-Japanese, the reader wouldn't feel as much rivalry or the need to even compare. Besides, we are so used to seeing foreign models in Japan since childhood that we seem to somehow subconciously think that modeling is more "their" profession than ours, just like what we tend to expect in the Eikaiwa teachers.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
The way I analyze the phenomenon of models in Japan often being Caucasian is that women often dispise other women who look prettier than themselves. I'm not saying that Caucasian women aren't pretty. But if a Japanese consumer finds a jacket worn by a beautiful Japanese model in a magazine,
it wouldn't arouse as much customer interest as it would when that same jacket was worn by a very pretty but very different-looking woman. If the model was clearly non-Japanese, the reader wouldn't feel as much rivalry or the need to even compare. Besides, we are so used to seeing foreign models in Japan since childhood that we seem to somehow subconciously think that modeling is more "their" profession than ours, just like what we tend to expect in the Eikaiwa teachers.
Really? That's interesting.

I mean as a western consumer I would want to see a good looking person model a jacket regardless of race and could identify with any model in the jacket I want. Just as long as he's looking smart.

Also from a corporate perspective the only reason race would factor into anything would be if market research concluded that a particular style is more popular with a particular demographic. Or if a certain colour matched a certain skin tone.

Also what about modelling when it comes to selling things from perfume to wine to cars?

When sex appeal is used to sell in Japan... do they still use Caucasian models?

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 02-02-2009 at 11:43 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
survivingonrice (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2009, 10:01 PM

random Q: there are 2 types of models- print and the runway kind(but you can be both) and i know you have to be atleast 5'9 for the runway kind....but do you have to be tall for the print kind?

i needed a new sig
(#15 (permalink))
Old
japanheart (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to japanheart
Wink I'd like to ba a model in Japan - 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Hi dear,
Thank you for your great forums about Japan the most lovely country in the world. I visited Japan one time & I love it so much. When I was there many Japanese admire on my beauty & they told me if I was a Japanese girl I will be a famous star. I didn't have any japanese origins ,but, I have Japanese beauty maybe my thaousand Grandfather came from Japan ha ha ha. On the other hand, I have some personal problems which let me to thought about my dream in living in Japan to be a model for advertisements in make up or fashions or music model .. etc. I have beauty face which most of people think I'm Japanese on the first time we met. Any one can help me to how to be a model because I shall start learning Japanese language here before travel. If you know any advertiser person who can see my photos then if there company will find for me a job its will be nice. Or if you give me links for beauty Japanese companies its will be right. Finally. I wish having Japanese friendship or romantic, Please, email me OK. Bye

Last edited by japanheart : 04-07-2009 at 01:13 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Study cases of Lear Dizon and Magibon.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

04-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Study cases of Lear Dizon and Magibon.
Don't encourage her! We don't need another Magibon to conquer the world.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
japanheart (Offline)
New to JF

OOOOh - 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM

hey guys, I'm not play.. names you put are for women have Japanese origins. but I'm Arabian without any Asian origins. no matter for me to work in Japan or South Korea all admire on me. Who have any informations please contact me

Last edited by japanheart : 04-07-2009 at 08:24 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Modeling in Japan?

I have now merged these threads
(#20 (permalink))
Old
japanheart (Offline)
New to JF