JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

JET Program - 02-05-2009, 05:44 AM

I was wondering who knew of the program. I know a few of you may have participated- I want to hear some stories! Good and bad/wages/housing, etc.

I'm going to college for Public Communications and English, and after graduation I plan on applying. I'd like to know about the interview/application process if anyone has any info.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 07:27 AM

I am also in your same position. I am interested in some of the responses you receive... sorry for commandeering your topic lol.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 02-05-2009 at 07:36 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Lol, nice to meet my competition.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 07:53 AM

I was on JET from 1996-98. The application process is quite long... you send in your application in late Nov/early Dec, if you get an interview that takes place in Feb, then if you are selected there are orientation meetings etc and you fly out in late July/early Aug. They take care of your airfare there and back, your visa, training in Tokyo and more in your prefecture, and will help you find a place to live... some schools will actually pay for all your housing, others will partially subsidize it, and others will just find the place and you pay for it yourself. (I and most others tend to have the latter arrangement). The pay is 3.6 million yen per year, which at current exchange rates is roughly $40,000, and that's tax free in both Japan and the US. You sign up for a minimum of 1 year and renew a year at a time, up to 5 years now (used to be 3 max). You team teach in Japanese public schools with Japanese teachers, and you don't need to know any Japanese to apply (I didn't know any when I went). JET has a great support network and voluntary events/activities set up by the AJET chapters.

If you have any questions beyond the info blurb above, let me know, or go to the official JET forums here: JET Programme :: Index

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply, samurai!

It's not so much the technicals I want to know, considering I've done a great deal of research.. I just wanted to hear some personal little stories regarding the quality of the program, and how difficult teaching Japanese kids can be.

So you're saying the majority of people end up paying all their own rent? Or did I misunderstand?... And, if so, how much was your rent? I know each situation differs, and living arrangements vary, but did you have enough money to pay rent and save up (aswell as doing the occasional sight-seeing)?

EDIT: Does knowing moderate Japanese help? I've taken it in High School and plan on taking it for all of College... I'm not sure why, but I don't want that to hurt my chances! I have a feeling they want English-only people, mainly so the students/teachers can practice out their English with someone who doesn't know Japanese. Any ideas?

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 02-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply, samurai!

It's not so much the technicals I want to know, considering I've done a great deal of research.. I just wanted to hear some personal little stories regarding the quality of the program, and how difficult teaching Japanese kids can be.

So you're saying the majority of people end up paying all their own rent? Or did I misunderstand?... And, if so, how much was your rent? I know each situation differs, and living arrangements vary, but did you have enough money to pay rent and save up (aswell as doing the occasional sight-seeing)?

EDIT: Does knowing moderate Japanese help? I've taken it in High School and plan on taking it for all of College... I'm not sure why, but I don't want that to hurt my chances! I have a feeling they want English-only people, mainly so the students/teachers can practice out their English with someone who doesn't know Japanese. Any ideas?
Yep, most people pay their own rent. Mine was about $500 a month for a 1 room place that wasn't the greatest. That was pretty standard in the countryside, where most JETs are placed. In the city it may be 20-50% more. But you get much more than you need to get by... The gross pay is about $3000 a month, minus pension and mandatory medical insurance, about $500-800 a month for rent (maybe less if you get lucky), figure $300-400 a month for food if you cook at home (more if you eat in restaurants a lot), maybe $200-300 for other bills, entertainment, and incidentals, and you have at least $1000-1500 or more a month left over for savings, travel, buying manga, etc. I saved $25,000 in the 2 years I was there, and at that time the exchange rate was a lousy 140+ yen to $1. With today's exchange rate, I'd have had another $10,000. And I still traveled all over Japan from Nikko to Nagasaki, collected and shipped home 1500 manga, paid for a trip back to the US to see my family in between my 2 years, and had a great time.

Yes, knowing Japanese is helpful. Not knowing the language was an annoyance for me, and while I eventually picked up some basic words and phrases, and it forced the kids and teachers to practice their English with me, it was still frustrating sometimes. It will likely help, not hurt your chances of being accepted, unless during your interview you say something like "I just want to go to Japan to improve my Japanese ability"... that will happen naturally just by living there, but in school remember that you're an English teacher.

Last edited by samurai007 : 02-05-2009 at 08:45 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks, that answers alot. Sounds like a great opportunity.

By the time I go there I will be married, and I know the JET program accepts families with and without children, giving them a dependant visa.

Will this hurt my chances? Did you go alone, or with a significant other?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Thanks, that answers alot. Sounds like a great opportunity.

By the time I go there I will be married, and I know the JET program accepts families with and without children, giving them a dependant visa.

Will this hurt my chances? Did you go alone, or with a significant other?
I went alone, but there was 1 married couple in my prefecture. I don't think it hurts your chances, but you should think about what your non-JET spouse will be doing day in and day out, especially if they don't speak Japanese. They will not know anyone there, can't even watch TV because it's in Japanese, so the spouse can get bored pretty quickly while you spend your days at work... In the couple I mentioned, she started working at a private English school to have something to do.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks!

I'm ready for this adventure

がんばって べんきょう する!