JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TimmyK (Offline)
New to JF

I'm 16 and I want to, someday, live and work in Japan-Questions!! - 02-06-2009, 03:37 AM

Hello everyone!
Let me first start off with saying, for as long as I can remember, it has always been my dream to live in Japan. For some reason I am so attracted to everything Japanese. I love the culture, the language, the people, the architecture, the history, everything Japan! I am currently in high school, living in America ever since I was born, and I am 16 years old. My question is, what do I need to do in college in America to get a job in Japan? What kind of degree's should I get? And also, what kinds of jobs can Americans get when they move over to Japan? I know about the whole English teaching over in Japan thing and that sounds cool but I was just looking that up and apparently they don't really make that much money. I want a job that I can make an alright, decent living that I can live off of happily. Also, I don't really want to live somewhere like Osaka or Tokyo. I'm looking for a city but a more rural sort of traditional city that's not so crowded and the cost of living isn't as high as Tokyo and Osaka. For example, Kyoto seems really ideal for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare to live and work in Japan? Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your help into guiding me towards my dream and goal of moving to Japan!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 03:48 AM

$30,000-40,000 tax free in both the US and Japan is an excellent starting salary fresh out of college. I'm 37 now and I've never earned as much at any job in the US as I did teaching in Japan...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BratGaki (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2009, 04:41 AM

To be perfectly honest, you have to pretty much speak fluent Japanese before you move out of the "English teacher" range of jobs. But look into programs like JET, Eikaiwa, ALT, etc...

^ 駄目 ^
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 05:11 AM

My advice to you is to find a career that YOU want. Don't pick a career which may be in demand in Japan 6 to 7 years from now.

As far as preparation is concerned, start learning the language and be as fluent as you can. That along with a university degree will open the doors to a broader selection of jobs.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2009, 06:55 AM

I suggest you visit Japan a few times before assuming you want to live your life there. Plan a vacation! You're 16, go there and establish some connections and then decide what path to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
As far as preparation is concerned, start learning the language and be as fluent as you can. That along with a university degree will open the doors to a broader selection of jobs.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
My advice to you is to find a career that YOU want. Don't pick a career which may be in demand in Japan 6 to 7 years from now.
This. But hell, forget about a career that may bring no income in a few years, do what you want to do so you don't hate waking up every morning.

You're on the right track though: graduate from college. While you still have some time on your hands, look into Japanese exchange programs. JET's amazing, but there are many others. If you can get your foot in the door, and get a few contacts while you're over there, it'll help you in landing a job when you want to spend some more time working over there.

And while you're young now, snag a job, and save as much money as you can. The more you have, the easier the initial transition will be for you, especially if you look at where the economy's at right now.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.