JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
Need help with Visas - 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Okay, so I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times here, but I've searched the forum and I can't find any results D:

I'm a senior in High School, and I plan on moving to Japan shortly after I graduate. (I've lived in Japan for four years when I was about 6, So I know what I'm getting myself into) But what's confusing me is this whole Visa thing. I want to work in Japan. So I guess that means I need a workers visa? I've looked this up on Google, but it just confuses me.

Can someone tell me everything I need to do to obtain a workers visa? Also, do I find work before I move? Like, what is the process.

Thanks.

猿も木から落ちる
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-17-2009, 04:51 PM

For a working visa, the two main points (and the most important) are:

1. You must hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
2. You must be hired by a company first, who will then sponsor your visa.

There are no exceptions here. The only exception is the Working Holiday Visa, which is only available to nationals from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Ireland and UK.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#3 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
For a working visa, the two main points (and the most important) are:

1. You must hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
2. You must be hired by a company first, who will then sponsor your visa.

There are no exceptions here. The only exception is the Working Holiday Visa, which is only available to nationals from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Ireland and UK.
Would it be easier to just to go college in Japan then? If so, could you (or anyone) give me some info about that?

猿も木から落ちる
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-17-2009, 05:10 PM

That depends. You need to be fluent (and I mean completely fluent) in Japanese to attend university. It can take 3 or 4 years of serious study to attain that kind of fluency, so you might be better off just attending university in your home country and take Japanese classes there. If you're really yearning to get to Japan and live there for awhile, you can take a year-long study abroad trip while you're attending university (which is what I did).

There are a small amount of universities in Japan that do have an English curriculum (and by small amount, I mean about two or three). However, they're private schools, and they're very expensive.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
That depends. You need to be fluent (and I mean completely fluent) in Japanese to attend university. It can take 3 or 4 years of serious study to attain that kind of fluency, so you might be better off just attending university in your home country and take Japanese classes there. If you're really yearning to get to Japan and live there for awhile, you can take a year-long study abroad trip while you're attending university (which is what I did).

There are a small amount of universities in Japan that do have an English curriculum (and by small amount, I mean about two or three). However, they're private schools, and they're very expensive.
Tell me more about this study abroad. But I want to say longer than just one year. Like I said, I want to settle down there, and get a job.

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 02-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-18-2009, 01:37 AM

What is your nationality? Can you qualify for a descendant's visa, ie are you half Japanese? Do you have any needed skills such as engineering or networking?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-18-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
What is your nationality? Can you qualify for a descendant's visa, ie are you half Japanese? Do you have any needed skills such as engineering or networking?
No, I'm full-blooded American. And I definitely don't have any skills in engineering, but I'm taking a crap load of computer classes. And I have the highest Computer Skills grade in my school, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean by networking?

I just need to know how to GET to Japan first of all. I'll work anywhere really.

猿も木から落ちる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
No, I'm full-blooded American. And I definitely don't have any skills in engineering, but I'm taking a crap load of computer classes. And I have the highest Computer Skills grade in my school, so I'm not sure if that's what you mean by networking?

I just need to know how to GET to Japan first of all. I'll work anywhere really.
Then you'll need a 4 year university degree. After which you'll have to find a Japanese company willing to hire you despite not knowing the language or culture as fluently as a native Japanese person, and willing to go through the trouble of sponsoring your visa. In order for a company to do all that, you'd better have some amazing skills (in addition to speaking, reading, and writing in Japanese) that they simply can't find in any Japanese applicants applying for the same job.

Either that, or marry a Japanese citizen, or teach English. Those are pretty much your only choices. Japan is very selective about allowing foreigners to go and live and work there.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-18-2009, 02:21 AM

The only way you can live in Japan for any period of time before graduation from college would be on an exchange program. Other than that, graduate from college (or at least get close) and start applying.

Japan is a lot more fun when are you getting paid, not paying to be there.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-18-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
(I've lived in Japan for four years when I was about 6, So I know what I'm getting myself into)
alanX, somehow I very much doubt you have any idea what you are getting yourself into. My advice is to go to Japan as a university student and spend you student life there. It will be the best time of your life. But for that you will at least need JLPT 2, if not JLPT 1 so start studying.

With your current skills, you have 0 chance of getting anywhere in Japananese society especially language skills. In fact your social standing will be around the same as illegal mexican immigrants that cross the USA border every year (no language skills, no practical skills that are in demand). It might sound harsh but from your posts, it is clear you are very naive.

I suggest you check out MMM's "I don't want to live in Japan" thread first.

Japan's GDP is plunging at a rate of -12% a year, Japanese people are having trouble finding jobs, Japan's economy is practically under seige right now and they have no room for baggage. It isn't exactly Anime happyville at the moment or whatever imaginery ideas you have about Japan.

Last edited by kirakira : 02-18-2009 at 02:55 AM.