JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kittin92 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Kittin92
Staying at Japan for 2 years - 03-07-2009, 04:20 AM

Hello! I am a Girl on the age 16 whom lives In Norway. Next Year My bestfriend and I will go to Japan and study there at highschool for 2 years

Theres alot we have questions on like where is it smartest to live at ? Got any recomantions about schools, town.. money no doubt.. Were both realy interessted in Anime/mangas so thats what were coming down for though..

Though we will both live with a family to take care of us under the staying we want to know if theres anything we should watch out for, or rather know that might be important as for being outcountry students.

We wold like to know [u]anything[u]Importan!

Oh yea, Sh!t Just real!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Starairi (Offline)
Fukuoka resident

Send a message via MSN to Starairi
03-07-2009, 04:51 AM

Hi there! Another norwegain is always nice :3

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand you. Are you going as an exchange student with one of the exchange agencies (utvekslingsbyrå)? Because said you'd be staying with a host family... Usually you won't get to decide where you'll end up living and going to school, the agency will decide this.

If you're going to go there without the help of an agency, you probably won't be able to stay with a family, unless you can somehow befriend someone over the internet that's willing to put you up for 2 years.

Anything else you need help with, PM me. Although I don't have any experience with exchange to Japan, we do share the same language!

Starairi
Crazy norwegain person
ノルエじんです
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-07-2009, 04:55 AM

First of all, I have never heard of anyone going to Japan for two years to study in high school... Not to mention I`ve NEVER heard of anyone going to study in high school who has no clue where they`re going.

So - I`m going to make the guess that you WANT to go to Japan to study in high school but know nothing about the reality of it.

Unless there is some mysterious program that I have never heard of with your country (which I highly doubt) you`re pretty much out of luck. You can`t just hop on over to Japan and enroll in high school. Things don`t work like that.

First of all, you will need all your money on hand before going - pre-college visa (what you will need for high school) does not generally allow you to work. You will need to pay for tuition and pay for housing, even if it is a homestay you will need to pay the family.

Please do some research first. I`m not saying it`s not possible to go to Japan, but just deciding on it and saying you`re going to isn`t realistic.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Starairi (Offline)
Fukuoka resident

Send a message via MSN to Starairi
03-07-2009, 05:18 AM

I agree with Nyororin here. It does sond a bit far fetched to me as well.
Oh, and being interested in anime and manga isn't really the best basis for wanting to study in Japan. It is really hard work (I've heard), because not only are the standards very high in many japanese schools, but you'll have to learn everything in a completely different language.

I also hope you have asked you parents about this, because you're underage and can't simply go to wherever you'd like without their permission.

Also, I think I can say that there's no such thing as "a mysterious program" in Norway.

Starairi
Crazy norwegain person
ノルエじんです
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2009, 09:24 AM

I smell a phoney
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Esteban (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2009, 11:58 AM

In Norway we do have agencies who does this for you in High School. But going there only for an Anime world is a bad reason I guess, even though I'm not much older than you. Her er linken: Utvesklingselev i Japan (VGS) - Japani

I would also advice you, to go there only for one year and make the year as "not counting."
Are you guys even interested in the language? Culture? Anything else than Anime/Manga? If not, I think you should stay home, because it's school, not a fantasy world. You can't expect it to be chill and all that, just fun all the time.

Good luck

Last edited by Esteban : 03-07-2009 at 12:02 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
robinkun (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to robinkun Send a message via Skype™ to robinkun
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Are you guys even interested in the language? Culture? Anything else than Anime/Manga? If not, I think you should stay home, because it's school, not a fantasy world. You can't expect it to be chill and all that, just fun all the time.
! i really want to study 1 year in japan! learn the language, histoy, cultue!!! it was(and still are) my dream..my parents say i shal do it if i want.. but i cant cause i dont want to leave away from my girlfriend a whole year
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kittin92 (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2009, 03:09 PM

No its not that we just will go there cuz of the fantasy world,
Were both intressted in everything about Japan, culture, language, history everything! Our hearts have been burning for Japan for many years now
So basicly we go there to study and teach more about Anime/mangas but its not the only thing. Its just for the study but else we want to come cuz of what I just said. We fell in Love with everything Japan got and had

Oh yea, Sh!t Just real!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Esteban (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkun View Post
! i really want to study 1 year in japan! learn the language, histoy, cultue!!! it was(and still are) my dream..my parents say i shal do it if i want.. but i cant cause i dont want to leave away from my girlfriend a whole year
Lol, I'm in the same boat actually, but I decided that I will study in Japan anywayz. It's hard, yeah, but I think that in the end it's worth it. Your girlfriend can come too, you know?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kittin92 (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
In Norway we do have agencies who does this for you in High School. But going there only for an Anime world is a bad reason I guess, even though I'm not much older than you. Her er linken: Utvesklingselev i Japan (VGS) - Japani

I would also advice you, to go there only for one year and make the year as "not counting."

Good luck
Hmmm No its not because of that at all, We just want to study further of Anime/manga xP Its for everything Japan got. We fell in love with Japan long time before we knew about Mana/anime

Oh yea, Sh!t Just real!