JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Is Japan poluted? post your reply as well.
Yes, Very poluted. 8 27.59%
Not really. 16 55.17%
No, not at all. 8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
03-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Why would pollution be a concern for a trip? Also, why do you have to wait till you are 16? If you have the fund, then might as well....

Pollution is still an issue in some area, Tokyo Bay is like the ultimate mercury dump...
well i want to make sure i have enough money saved up, and so far i only have $1,000 dollars saved up.>_<

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...
(#22 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2009, 05:17 AM

First some information that isn't included in the chart but could be helpful in interpetting the data.

Particulate matter is mostly associated with the burning of solids like, wood, paper, coal, and garbage. It is also a common byproduct of burning diesel fuel. It is the result of incomplete combustion products, also know as ash, becoming airborn. Most 1st world countries have very tight restrictions on the size and quantity of particulate matter than can be emitted from industrial facilities.

Sulfur dioxide is a common byproduct of burning coal and heavy petroleum products. It is the primary contributor to acid rain. It is formed when sulfur containing hydorcarbons are burnt. It can be carried long distances and not dissipate, often creating pollution problems far from the industrial source. It is also expelled by volcanos.

Nitrogen dioxide polution is most commonly associated with gasonline engines. It and other nitrogen oxide compounds, commonly refereed to as NOx, are produced when combustion temperatures are extremely high and breaks down the naturaly occuring Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules in air and the now free nitrogen and oxygen atoms meet up. It is one of the compounds, along with carbon monoxide and unburnt hydrocarbons, that are regulated in gasoline engine exhaust.

Here is how I would interpret the data.

Yokohoma has a large industrial area nearby but not neccesarily in the population center. There is probably a stable and usually predictable wind pattern. I get this from the high sulfur dioxide levels while having a low nitrogen dioxide level in comparison to other first world countries that might be expected to have a similar numbers of cars. If there was a low or unpredictable wind patterns I would expect higher Nitrogen Dioxide levels like those in LA where the lack of predictable winds traps polution in the area. You would also see higher particulate matter in this situation, though not on the scale as that seen in the Chinese cities with similar sulfur dioxide levels. It is also possible Yokohoma is on top of a volcano and has very few cars. But I doubt that .

Both Okaka-Kobe and Tokyo have a large number of automobiles. I wouldn't expect too much industrial production to be near or the winds blow away from the population areas. There is possibly low winds in the region. I say this because of the relatively low sulfur dioxide levels while having high nitrogen dioxide levels.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-12-2009, 01:39 PM

It certainly isn't Beijing where I use to ride by a petroleum refiner on the way to class, but they do burn their garbage in their lawns out in the countryside. That being said, no bloody noses or congested sinuses so far due to air quality (Beijing).
(#24 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
It certainly isn't Beijing where I use to ride by a petroleum refiner on the way to class, but they do burn their garbage in their lawns out in the countryside. That being said, no bloody noses or congested sinuses so far due to air quality (Beijing).
Beijing is geographically challenged in terms of pollution. At least Tokyo is next to the sea so bad air can readily just drift to nowhere. Beijing has mountains up the north which acts like a barrier that traps all the pollutants coming from the industrial south. Unless you get wind, the air is always... well crap.

I think Tokyo is pretty damn clean given you can count the number of trees in the city with one hand.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ryuk999 (Offline)
PC gamer

03-12-2009, 04:22 PM

comparing it to L.A. or Beijing, China I don't think its polluted. But ironically its the reason why my family was sent there lol
(#26 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
03-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
First some information that isn't included in the chart but could be helpful in interpetting the data.

Particulate matter is mostly associated with the burning of solids like, wood, paper, coal, and garbage. It is also a common byproduct of burning diesel fuel. It is the result of incomplete combustion products, also know as ash, becoming airborn. Most 1st world countries have very tight restrictions on the size and quantity of particulate matter than can be emitted from industrial facilities.

Sulfur dioxide is a common byproduct of burning coal and heavy petroleum products. It is the primary contributor to acid rain. It is formed when sulfur containing hydorcarbons are burnt. It can be carried long distances and not dissipate, often creating pollution problems far from the industrial source. It is also expelled by volcanos.

Nitrogen dioxide polution is most commonly associated with gasonline engines. It and other nitrogen oxide compounds, commonly refereed to as NOx, are produced when combustion temperatures are extremely high and breaks down the naturaly occuring Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules in air and the now free nitrogen and oxygen atoms meet up. It is one of the compounds, along with carbon monoxide and unburnt hydrocarbons, that are regulated in gasoline engine exhaust.

Here is how I would interpret the data.

Yokohoma has a large industrial area nearby but not neccesarily in the population center. There is probably a stable and usually predictable wind pattern. I get this from the high sulfur dioxide levels while having a low nitrogen dioxide level in comparison to other first world countries that might be expected to have a similar numbers of cars. If there was a low or unpredictable wind patterns I would expect higher Nitrogen Dioxide levels like those in LA where the lack of predictable winds traps polution in the area. You would also see higher particulate matter in this situation, though not on the scale as that seen in the Chinese cities with similar sulfur dioxide levels. It is also possible Yokohoma is on top of a volcano and has very few cars. But I doubt that .

Both Okaka-Kobe and Tokyo have a large number of automobiles. I wouldn't expect too much industrial production to be near or the winds blow away from the population areas. There is possibly low winds in the region. I say this because of the relatively low sulfur dioxide levels while having high nitrogen dioxide levels.
wow thats a lot to read, i'll have to read it tomorrow.>.< but thank you for the information.>^_^<

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...