JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ny4u87 (Offline)
New to JF

Working as a geologist in Japan? - 03-15-2009, 04:14 PM

So...I've been thinking about visiting Japan for a long time (a few years), and it comes down to the fact that I am simply not wealthy, and can't afford to go on a quick, one or two week pleasure trip (sadly). So I want to go to japan to work for a year or two after college, but...I'm a geologist. At first that seemed like a good thing, I'd be able to experience volcanoes and earthquakes firsthand (I know that sounds crazy but I'm crazy about geology) and the experience of working abroad would probably be awesome for my resume when I returned to the U.S.

But then I thought, oh, man, japan is so tectonically active, they probably have a million geologists already! So my question is: does anyone know how the job market looks for geologists? Should I get my doctorate before even thinking about working as a geologist in Japan, or could I find a job with my bachelor's? I don't necessarily have to be doing the coolest geology work ever; I'd be happy analyzing rock samples in a lab or helping with land surveys for potential real estate buyers. I'd just love to experience a different culture (especially japan!) and get into my job market at the same time.

Any insight at all would be helpful. Thanks!

sometimes when I'm wearing sunglasses...I'm actually sleeping.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-15-2009, 04:37 PM

How's your Japanese?

A Ph.D. in geology probably won't get you a job related to geology in Japan if you don't speak, read and write Japanese like a scholar should.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ny4u87 (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2009, 04:53 PM

I'm a beginner speaker of japanese. I've been learning for about four years but I haven't had a steady teacher or anyone to talk to so it's been slow going I know my basic grammar and I'm expanding my vocabulary right now. I know my hiragana and katakana and I'm learning some kanji. I'm not concerned about the language, I'm good at language and learn easily, plus I'm not graduating for another two years so I have time to get better.

What I'm more concerned about is the job market for geologists in Japan. I mean, if I can't get a job there I can't...get a job there. And that's all I want really. I just kinda want to exist in Japan and learn about the culture first hand (I especially want to go to festivals!) while also doing something I love (geology).

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2009, 11:13 PM

I'm no expert on Geology jobs in Japan but if it's like NA you have your work cut out for you. Jobs like that are few and far between and not easy to obtain. Same with archeology.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
I'm no expert on Geology jobs in Japan but if it's like NA you have your work cut out for you. Jobs like that are few and far between and not easy to obtain. Same with archeology.
Ditto. Like Nagoyankee said, if you are not 100% fluent, you are worthless in Japan. It's like a foreign movie, it could be the best movie in the world but what use is it if you can't understand it?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

03-15-2009, 11:50 PM

I say just go for it!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
I say just go for it!
And then find out you can't find a job, so you basically blew all this money on an unplanned holiday. Somehow I don't think that's such a smart idea.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

03-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
And then find out you can't find a job, so you basically blew all this money on an unplanned holiday. Somehow I don't think that's such a smart idea.
oh yea sorry first research then go for it!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2009, 12:24 AM

You might want to see if you could get a grant or something, perhaps doing your thesis on geology in Japan.

That may be one way to do it.

I have no doubt as geologist you would have a fascinating time, but lots and lots of those places are out of bounds and for good reason, they are lethal.

I recently saw a program about a geologist (think he was from the UK) do a one off documentary about Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ny4u87 (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
You might want to see if you could get a grant or something, perhaps doing your thesis on geology in Japan.

That may be one way to do it.

I have no doubt as geologist you would have a fascinating time, but lots and lots of those places are out of bounds and for good reason, they are lethal.

I recently saw a program about a geologist (think he was from the UK) do a one off documentary about Japan.

thanks, I didn't even think of that as an option! That actually could work out really well for me, as I have no money to speak of but I do get good grades.
And it would allow me to live in Japan long enough to really experience it.

I sort of figured the really dangerous places would be of limits lol. I'm more interested in seeing or even being involved in the process of predicting earthquakes and things like that. Where I live, earthquakes are like a myth, we just don't have any active faults. I would of course love to see an a real volcano and all that, but generally it's simply much too dangerous to get close.

Thanks again, I'll look into what my university has to offer for studying abroad!