LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
I will say I went over the line. Hence the grammar and spelling mistakes. I'm cool now so no worries on that part.

Well to get back on topic, One area that I should of pointed out in all this is my religious background. I'm Christian, (the post above make me look bad, anger is not your best friend) and I do take part in many church roles. One I'm currently apart of is technology management. What I do is manage the sound board for Sundays and Wednesdays. This relates to above reasons why I would go to Japan; to help out a church(s). Of course if that doesn't happen I will take part in churches in the US, point is regardless where I'm at I'll be in the church in some form. This leads to me having more help then the average person when it comes to people that can help me go/ get settled, I will also have an extra outlet for stress. Japan also in a way could be considered an "Mission field" for me, I have great desire to help the Christians that are there wither I'm in the United states or over there. Also one the reasons why I need to pray/give a lot of consideration about going there.

I really should of given more light to this part of my life, if anyone is confused about this I will offer more of an explanation about it.
You do realize Japan is not a Christian country and most Japanese don't like being converted. I know your heart means well, but it will be a difficult path if you go to Japan for this reason only. (BTW, my official title is "Reverend Doctor" non denominational) Good luck.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
You do realize Japan is not a Christian country and most Japanese don't like being converted. I know your heart means well, but it will be a difficult path if you go to Japan for this reason only. (BTW, my official title is "Reverend Doctor" non denominational) Good luck.
I do, and being a christian on that part will be hard. I believe it like 1-2% of the population are christian, and well probably smaller then are actually faithful. I will have to be respectful of those who don't believe the religion, (this isn't America) I will have to speak to many Christian Asians about how to talk to them . I made the mistake once of announcing what I'm going to do with my life, and tried to live by that. Didn't turn out well and I'm eating those words years ago. I've learned form my mistake that events like this require A LOT of thinking and praying. I have a lot on my plate to sort though, I thank everyone who posted trying to set me strait by opening my eyes. Give me about a week(s) to sort everything out and see to where to go from there. Thanks.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-19-2009, 05:56 PM

I`m not Christian, and can`t say I enjoy those who come around and attempt to convert people (and I doubt it will win you any friends in Japan...)

But I can`t say I am against Christianity or practicing it - anything that encourages someone to be a better person is nothing to be against, in my opinion.

There are a number of smaller churches in Japan, and I am guessing that with the small number of Christians they have tightly knit communities. I am absolutely sure that you would have no problem finding a church to help, even if not in a mission capacity. Although I imagine it will be hard to be picky when it comes to denomination - barring a few exceptions I have only seen churches listing themselves as "Christian", with no denominational attachment. There is a small church somewhat near me, and they are always advertising gatherings. I have also spotted the church name reserving gathering places, etc, for parties and get-togethers. They seem to be very active.

It LOOKS like there are a number of large churches in every town, but they`re almost all fake. Part of "Dream Wedding" complexes.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m not Christian, and can`t say I enjoy those who come around and attempt to convert people (and I doubt it will win you any friends in Japan...)

But I can`t say I am against Christianity or practicing it - anything that encourages someone to be a better person is nothing to be against, in my opinion.

There are a number of smaller churches in Japan, and I am guessing that with the small number of Christians they have tightly knit communities. I am absolutely sure that you would have no problem finding a church to help, even if not in a mission capacity. Although I imagine it will be hard to be picky when it comes to denomination - barring a few exceptions I have only seen churches listing themselves as "Christian", with no denominational attachment. There is a small church somewhat near me, and they are always advertising gatherings. I have also spotted the church name reserving gathering places, etc, for parties and get-togethers. They seem to be very active.

It LOOKS like there are a number of large churches in every town, but they`re almost all fake. Part of "Dream Wedding" complexes.
I can't be picky with denominations in Japan. I currently attend an church as about 150ish people. In all, I do prefer churches that are smaller, since you get to know people better then larger ones. From experience I would say people generally don't like the ideal of an religious person approaching them. that's in America to, I can't imagine how an Japanese would react. the iron rule will be respectful, and not to pester those who say no. Being an christian in Japan would be a huge minority, but what is life without hardship?

31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Aoiru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
Hello,

I have recently given more life to an ideal I have years about when I was in my teens. Now that I'm 21, I have been finding myself searching over the internet about life in japan or more specific Moving and working in Japan. Not just staying for bit, but maybe settling down there and making it my permanent home (yes that does mean changing my citizenship).

Currently this is just in the thinking phase, as I have been gathering a lot of data on how to accomplish such a feat, and this is where I need first and knowledgeable experience that will not white wash things for me.

First off it seems that the most basic start is a English teacher (which sounds great seeing how I do like English myself) but recently I learned of the Nova incident and how that career path kinda ends. Would someone be kind enough to post some helpful tips on career paths for an American in Japan?

Secondly, I spent two years of my life doing nothing and would like to apply myself towards a goal/career. I mention earlier that I do like English and I have some talent in artistic department. The question is how did you work out paying for college (stateside) and going to Japan?

These are two of my greatest generic questions that I need some help on from experienced people. I have nothing holding me down in the States and I do not mind the small apartments and I adore the culture and values that on the surface are presented in Japan. Now if you think I need more information on something or you think I may be at a lost please feel free to help. I also have not visited Japan and I will not make an decision to move there until I do so ( I was thinking I could work it out during college as a student transfer).
Well, as you are just trying what it is in japan, you could apply for a part-time job. In many japanese magazines there is job searching pages, where is many jobs avaible, but it could need a sertain gender, age, japanese language ability and other. If you do not fit into everything that is asked in the job-add, it is not worth to apply for the job because there is many people applying. It must be difficult for foreigner who does not know japanese, to find a job.

As a teaching job, japanese school starts in april, therefore I think the best time to search for a teaching job, is december~february.
It will be easy, if you have contacts. Maybe where you are studying, you could ask if there is some colleagues who have teached in japan and ask from them?

If you have awards, diplomas or other from your college, you should bring them with you to show that you are a good teacher.

You can teach english privately and in private english conversation schools too. But remember, a teaching job is something that a person feels deeply about and really want to do it. You can really easily lose your interest to it.

It is very brave to leave a homecountry to somewhere like Japan!
Please prepare yourself well, so your stay will be pleasant.

Did you understand my english? I'm sorry if you could not ^^;; I'm a bit rusty with the ability. hee-

/aoi

花は桜 君は美し 春のこもれび 君の微笑み
冬が終わり 雪が溶けて 君の心に春が舞い込む...

[/size]
(#36 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

03-22-2009, 02:50 AM

Aoiru,

Your English is fine.

I may have mislead you on my original post. I'm not in college yet. I have a little to work out before I even go to college. I have to think about how I'm going to visit Japan first wither that be a trip or some type of exchange program in college.

I also thank you for the time you given to help me. When the time comes I will take all the advice that has been offered and apply it to practice. Thanks.