JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

It would seem that the only people concerned with being Japanese are gaijin.
For many Japanese it is just a normal daily routine of being one's best (this is a bhuddist type of behaviour) and respecting the other people around you.
This really does not hold true as many Japanese are assholes and ignorant, they are also idiots and rude. This in percentage terms is very good when compared to the west. In the West you are much more lightly to encounter the forementioned types then in Japan.
Japan for me as an English man is much more easy to understand then for most new worlders (read Yanks/Aussies) as we share many common points of heritage and a very long history. Because of this shared understanding of an island nation that is both strong and smart I find that being Japanese is as easy as being English.
It has been said of me by many Japanese, that I am very Japanese!
Yet I am no sushi fan nor do I like some other foods offered. But it is in the manners that I decline these foods that I am seen as Japanese.

I would suggest that British manners and Japanese manners are very connected if a touch distinct in their application. And that any human who can display good UK/JP manners (not the crap you get taught in USA) will be seen to be Japanese or British with little effort.

Please don't get me wrong USA people, but you really have a warped sense of manners that in Japan makes you stick out like a rude asshole.

Of course there are many sorts of people in all countries and you will find them all here in Japan, just not so polarized as in the west.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
It would seem that the only people concerned with being Japanese are gaijin.
For many Japanese it is just a normal daily routine of being one's best (this is a bhuddist type of behaviour) and respecting the other people around you.
This really does not hold true as many Japanese are assholes and ignorant, they are also idiots and rude. This in percentage terms is very good when compared to the west. In the West you are much more lightly to encounter the forementioned types then in Japan.
Japan for me as an English man is much more easy to understand then for most new worlders (read Yanks/Aussies) as we share many common points of heritage and a very long history. Because of this shared understanding of an island nation that is both strong and smart I find that being Japanese is as easy as being English.
It has been said of me by many Japanese, that I am very Japanese!
Yet I am no sushi fan nor do I like some other foods offered. But it is in the manners that I decline these foods that I am seen as Japanese.

I would suggest that British manners and Japanese manners are very connected if a touch distinct in their application. And that any human who can display good UK/JP manners (not the crap you get taught in USA) will be seen to be Japanese or British with little effort.

Please don't get me wrong USA people, but you really have a warped sense of manners that in Japan makes you stick out like a rude asshole.

Of course there are many sorts of people in all countries and you will find them all here in Japan, just not so polarized as in the west.
British manners and Japanese manners are connected... HA!

I lived in Britain for 2 years mate. Complete crap.

Not to mention one of the worst types of foreigner I've encountered is the obnoxiously drunk Brit at beach resorts in Southern Europe looking for a "shag".

Don't get me wrong though... I enjoyed living in Britain and met some amazing people... but what you're saying with your generalisations are totally at odds with my experiences.

Perhaps both of us have been shown only one side of the coin?

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 04-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2009, 01:29 AM

My thoughts is that you are in no danger of "losing" anything in fact you gain which in terms grows you as a person.

There are no right or wrong ways just steps along the path. Following some show you things while following others show you something else.

The more places and people one encounters and lives amongst the stronger and more more rounded the person becomes.

The rock and water principal nails it but at the same time I would like someone to hold on to pieces of their identity rather then attempting to ape mine 100% after all that's what makes anyone interesting.