JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
japanguy (Offline)
New to JF

How and why? - 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about all the different ways of going to Japan.
Feel free to tell us something about your first time going to Japan and how you managed to get there.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-28-2009, 09:40 PM

I think this is a great idea. It should have it's own category.

I plan on going back to Japan after high school sometime. Don't know exactly how for sure yet. I thought about teaching English, but it doesn't seem like a guranteed way, you know? Like, what if I went to college to get a degree in English, and I still don't get hired? Then I just wasted 4 years of my life getting a degree in English for nothing.

I dunno, maybe I'll get some better ideas.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-28-2009, 10:16 PM

You don't need an English degree to be hired to teach English in Japan. Basically you need to be a college graduate.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You don't need an English degree to be hired to teach English in Japan. Basically you need to be a college graduate.
Okay..but still. That's not really what I mean.

If I go to college to become a college graduate, and I still don't find anyone to hire me. Like, I mean, graduating college doesn't promise you a road to Japan. It just improves your chances. That's what sucks.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Hey! There are plenty of things to be done with an English degree other than teaching. That complaint about it being a useless degree is bull.

With my English degree I was:

Newspaper reporter
Newspaper editor
Press Secretary
Fundraiser
Marketing Staff
Copywriter

...and English teacher.

Anywhere communication skills, especially writing skills are needed, you will find a job. It may not be in Japan, but I came here because as much as I wanted to, it made economic sense for me to do so. If It didn't make sense for me to do so, I would have stayed in Korea or gone back to America. Your priority should be getting a job you like that pays you enough to support yourself. That may be in Japan, it may not. But a college degree is NEVER a bad investment. Never ever ever.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-01-2009, 12:59 AM

I agree with everything you said. It still doesn't promise you a road to Japan, though.

I think luck has a big role in it also.

You were all those things in Japan? Or Korea?

猿も木から落ちる
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-01-2009, 01:08 AM

No, no. Everything up above, aside from English teacher, was what I did in the US before the economy took a nosedive, and my political career (Press Secretary/Fundraiser) went south. What I am saying is that I feel looking at Japan as a "by any means necessary" destination is bad juju. If you would be successful in your chosen career in your home country, and you enjoy doing it, and your Japanese ability meets the intended qualifications, THEN I say look for a job in Japan.

I love teaching. Absolutely love my job. The only job I like better is driving warships, and so I'm probably going to go back to doing that. But my point is, I would love that job if it were teaching native speakers in high school just as much as I love teaching my students here. Just as much as I look forward to teaching the sailors I will have in my shipboard division. Teaching is teaching is teaching. And it's something I enjoy doing.

I know a lot of people who come to Japan to teach and they hate the job. They're not cut out for it. Korea, even more so. Even if they love the country they have moved to, it usually isn't enough to keep them from going mad. You have to have a job you love. Understand the easiest way is to teach English, but the easiest way is often not the right way. It may very well not be the right way for you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Well said Tsuwabuki. I can't tell you how many teachers I met in Japan who loved Japan, but hated teaching. Some didn't realize that it is an actual job with actual responsibilities.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-01-2009, 01:35 AM

If I don't get into university for Japanese Studies (which I have applied for) I was thinking of visiting Japan to study the language and learn more about Japan itself. Now (by the end of this year anyways) I will be a college graduate graduating from my 3 year course in music studies and have been getting overall high grades in music. I've already deciding I'm emigrating as soon as I can to somewhere when I get the abilities to make a decent living there (I know it may be generic and/or lots of people here seem to think it's a bad idea but I have always loved teaching whether it be music theory or something else and language teaching sounds interesting to me). It's not that I've ever been looking at different countries until recently but due to my intense distaste for England (I'm Scottish but I had to move up when I was 8 for my dad’s work) and most things English that I decided emigration was not only imminent but essential. So if I went to Japan and decided I liked it there and that it was somewhere I would like to emigrate to, would the fact that I've studied the language in the country (as well as obviously being to speak English) and my college course qualification be enough to get me a work visa for something like teaching and eventually after a few years a residence/citizenship visa?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Okay..but still. That's not really what I mean.

If I go to college to become a college graduate, and I still don't find anyone to hire me. Like, I mean, graduating college doesn't promise you a road to Japan. It just improves your chances. That's what sucks.
It really puzzles me when I hear people choosing their careers based on their possible future life in Japan. Don't go to college because it opens the door to Japan! Go to college to enter a profession or field which YOU want to spend the rest of your life doing.

Nothing is guaranteed in life but if you really want to live in Japan, find the nearest Japanese national, marry her and follow her back to Japan.