JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

04-07-2009, 09:27 AM

sry nyororin, i completely misunderstood u.

well, if a japanese person can take a foreign last name, for instance at the time of marriage, i don't understand why a foreigner can't keep his name (with the exception of having to katakana-ise it). and i though (a big thought) the japanese naming conventions were basically only to prohibit indecent names.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2009, 10:00 AM

I am getting married next month and the situation is this. You keep your name and use katakana. If you wish to take the Japanese family name as I do then you have to change your name by Deed Poll.
You will have to consult your embassy and pay money to do a name change. You can change your name to anything you want with a few exeptions but this must be done by dealing with your own embassy.

As my wife to be is the only daughter and I wish to live in Japan I will be changing my family name to hers, I will retain my first name as it can be TX'd to good kanji but my original family name is hard enough for english speakers, Japanese have very little hope of getting their minds around it. It has V's H's O's and R's so is about 2 hours of explaining.

真亜久
(#13 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

04-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Makes complete sense to me, as you are joining the ranks so should not really be expecting special treatment.
Thanks for the info which I am truely surprised at. Although this completely does not make sense imho lol.
これぞ島国の国民性丸出しだな。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
I am getting married next month and the situation is this. You keep your name and use katakana. If you wish to take the Japanese family name as I do then you have to change your name by Deed Poll.
You will have to consult your embassy and pay money to do a name change. You can change your name to anything you want with a few exeptions but this must be done by dealing with your own embassy.
Sorry, but changing a name through marriage, and changing through naturalization are two completely different things. The same rules do not apply.
And, by the way, you cannot change your name to one with kanji unless your original name included them (Chinese, etc). Even if you do take the Japanese family name, it will be registered in katakana. You can register an official alias using the kanji, but you cannot have a kanji name unless you naturalize.

Quote:
Thanks for the info which I am truely surprised at. Although this completely does not make sense imho lol.
そう?特別扱いを望んでるのなら帰化しなきゃいいので は? そっちの方が私にとって理解しがたいのですよ。  

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

04-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Nyororinさんは日本人じゃないとわかってるけど、
言ってることは島国ならではの考えだとおもいますね。 欧米では、外国人が帰化するときに名前をかえるという きまりがないのに、どうも納得できませんな。

強いて言えば洗脳か?

WIKIPEDIAで調べてみたけど、帰化するときに、必ずしも名 前を変える必要がないようですが、確かに薦められる行 為のようです… 恐るべし。

Last edited by kirakira : 04-07-2009 at 11:03 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MatoriSan (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No, you DO have to choose a Japanese name.
It has to follow the same rules as other Japanese names, barring use of certain characters, etc. This rules out keeping the same name and simply writing it in katakana.

It does not have to carry the same pronunciation or meaning as your original name - but you WILL have to change both your first and last name if you receive citizenship. Most people do choose something either similar in pronunciation to their original name, or a Japanese name with similar meaning.
This is quite a refreshing bit of info to hear. I always imagined myself being called to by meaning... it would probably also be easier for me to name my kids, when I have them (and I plan on having at least one in the future).
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but changing a name through marriage, and changing through naturalization are two completely different things. The same rules do not apply.
And, by the way, you cannot change your name to one with kanji unless your original name included them (Chinese, etc). Even if you do take the Japanese family name, it will be registered in katakana. You can register an official alias using the kanji, but you cannot have a kanji name unless you naturalize.

Sorry, but you are correct. I will not be naturalized and will only take my wifes name while still remaining a British citizen. Japanese law is very strict on naturalization and even Japanese citizens are not allowed dual nationality.
My British passport will reflect the change in my name in the Roman alphabet although my name on official Japanese documents will be in Katakana with a Kanji family name
(#18 (permalink))
Old
japanesewords (Offline)
New to JF

04-08-2009, 11:28 AM

As far as I know, the naming is optional. I do not believe it is required for for citizenship, but many choose to do so to make life in Japan easier.

Japanese Words -tips, articles, and materials on learning Japanese.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
Sorry, but you are correct. I will not be naturalized and will only take my wifes name while still remaining a British citizen. Japanese law is very strict on naturalization and even Japanese citizens are not allowed dual nationality.
My British passport will reflect the change in my name in the Roman alphabet although my name on official Japanese documents will be in Katakana with a Kanji family name
No, unfortunately your name will not be in kanji on Japanese documents, unless you choose to register the kanji version as an official alias... And even then, official documents do not allow the use of an alias so you will be required to use either the katakana version or alphabet version.

Unless you really are naturalized, the kanji version will always remain an alias.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2009, 11:59 AM

I got told off by the wife to be. She says you are right and that I will have to use katakana unless I get naturalized.
Note to self ... (talk to wife to be first before posting on this type of subject)

Thanks for your advice.