JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

The downside of teaching in Japan... - 04-19-2009, 03:32 AM

This is an extreme, extreme example, but many of the things describe here are facts of working for dodgy companies, so if you are considering coming here please consider the negative not just what you may think Japan is like:

debito.org
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-19-2009, 03:36 AM

Thank's I'll check it out.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-19-2009, 03:44 AM

Why the hell does anyone actually work for this “company”? I guess the “company” must be full of unsuspecting fresh off the boat young foreigners who don’t know any different. This has just got to be widely publicized.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-19-2009, 03:44 AM

That is an awful story.

My only additional comment would be, if this happened in America no one would say "You should rethink working in America." This is no reflection on Japan, just on Interac Corporation.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
04-19-2009, 04:21 AM

how does this make any sense?!!

"He told me that if I have any more medical emergencies to call Interac 1 week before the emergency to let them know in advance."

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#6 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2009, 06:22 AM

that's incredible harsh.

First to tell you to abort your child because the chances are low that it may survive is just wrong. I can't imagine the stress that caused the guy's wife and him.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-19-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
that's incredible harsh.

First to tell you to abort your child because the chances are low that it may survive is just wrong. I can't imagine the stress that caused the guy's wife and him.
In this case that has to be the least upsetting bit, in my opinion. There are things that can be survived, and things that cannot be. If they were advising abortion immediately, it means the baby was well before viability or the mother`s life was in danger - otherwise an abortion would be considered murder. (Once the baby is past viability, they take priority as a patient.) The body can replenish amniotic fluid (which is why they waited for a few days) but most of the time bacteria makes it`s way inside and can kill the baby and mother in a short amount of time.

I am getting the feeling from the story that it is a lot of misunderstandings, mistranslation, poor judgment from the superiors, and bad luck. Put together to make a true disaster.

But it reflects no worse on Japan than, say, a company in the US firing someone because they leave work to see their mother die in the hospital after a car accident reflects badly on the US. (Happened to an acquaintance.) Terrible event, terrible experience, but could happen anywhere. Has very little with it being Japan. It is the COMPANY that is at fault.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-19-2009, 08:49 AM

Many dispatch companies, and I do speak from experience here, do think they can get away with a number of things no company I ever worked for in America thought they could get away with. However, I am an American citizen, and I do know of awful practices in Texas that several companies use against foreign workers. That does indeed reflect badly on Texas, and as a Texan I am ashamed it does so. So, I would indeed say the misbehavior by American companies reflect badly on America as a whole.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Many dispatch companies, and I do speak from experience here, do think they can get away with a number of things no company I ever worked for in America thought they could get away with. However, I am an American citizen, and I do know of awful practices in Texas that several companies use against foreign workers. That does indeed reflect badly on Texas, and as a Texan I am ashamed it does so. So, I would indeed say the misbehavior by American companies reflect badly on America as a whole.
As an American living in Oregon, I feel no connection with the awful practices that Texas companies commit on foreign workers in Texas. That is not a reflection on America or Oregon, but on Texas and even more on those companies.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As an American living in Oregon, I feel no connection with the awful practices that Texas companies commit on foreign workers in Texas. That is not a reflection on America or Oregon, but on Texas and even more on those companies.
If it is a reflection Texas, it is a reflection on America. Unless we've gone back to the Republic now. As a Texan, I am certainly not opposed to that, but I believe my passport still says United States of America and not Republic of Texas. As long as that is the case, Texan companies ARE American companies, and therefore their awful practices (and it certainly isn't all Texas companies, but even a few is bad enough) do reflect badly on America as a whole.