JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Roderick (Offline)
New to JF

Advice for recent graduate - teaching English in Japan? - 04-27-2009, 04:53 AM

Hi, first of all, sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction and tell me exactly how one gets started teaching English in Japan. I just graduated college and would like to get away for a while and this has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've searched through the different companies but I am confused because there are so many and don't know where to start. Can anyone provide me some more info please? Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-27-2009, 06:34 AM

There is so much information available here and elsewhere that I need to ask if you tried the search function. If so, please ask specific questions so we can address them. Be very clear. I suggest bullet point style. It will be easier for us to go line by line or offer a link to the answer.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2009, 07:45 AM

Look into the JET Program if you haven't already. It's not a company, it's the Japanese government itself, and you team teach in the public schools. That's what I did, and IMO it's the best option, if you can get in.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-27-2009, 08:39 AM

As illegal as many of their methods are, many JET contracts have been replaced by dispatch companies (either haken or inaku). I work for just such a company and my job is exactly the same as that of my JET friends.

JET does have advantages and I concur it is the best option, but it often seems they sort through applicants with a method about as scientific as as lawn darts.