JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Kanreki - 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Hi there. I was invited to a "Kanreki" celebration. Does anyone here know, as a guest, what I'm actually supposed to do? Has anyone here ever been to a Kanreki celebration? Am I supposed to dress a certain way? The invitation said "semi-formal", but am I supposed to wear a certain color or anything?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
survivingonrice (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-23-2009, 09:02 PM

what's a kanreki??

i needed a new sig
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-24-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Hi there. I was invited to a "Kanreki" celebration. Does anyone here know, as a guest, what I'm actually supposed to do? Has anyone here ever been to a Kanreki celebration? Am I supposed to dress a certain way? The invitation said "semi-formal", but am I supposed to wear a certain color or anything?
This can be a complex question as it's a quintessential Japanese event, yet it is taking place outside of Japan. I would suggest that you try to see it as someone's 30th marriage anniversary (though Kanreki has nothing to do with marriage). Basically, Kanreki is all about merrymaking. That should give you a pretty good idea of what to wear or how to act at the party. I'd probably avoid dark-colored clothes on this occasion. Not that those are forbidden but you would look odd if this were in Japan. A nice jacket and pant/skirt will do. If you have a chance to talk directly to the person of the hour, you may congratulate them on this occasion, thank them for what they have been doing for you, and wish them a healthy life hereafter.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2009, 07:04 PM

As I understand it, they release a whole load of angry horses into a small coral and you as a guest are expected to grab one and ride it until you fall off or it becomes docile.

JOKE!!!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM

*Laughs at dirtyroboto*

Anyway, thank you very much for the explanation, Nagoyankee. What you said helped a lot.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingonrice View Post
what's a kanreki??
Kanreki(還暦) is to Cellebrate one's 60th birthday (or his/her 60th new year).

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.