View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-24-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Hi there. I was invited to a "Kanreki" celebration. Does anyone here know, as a guest, what I'm actually supposed to do? Has anyone here ever been to a Kanreki celebration? Am I supposed to dress a certain way? The invitation said "semi-formal", but am I supposed to wear a certain color or anything?
This can be a complex question as it's a quintessential Japanese event, yet it is taking place outside of Japan. I would suggest that you try to see it as someone's 30th marriage anniversary (though Kanreki has nothing to do with marriage). Basically, Kanreki is all about merrymaking. That should give you a pretty good idea of what to wear or how to act at the party. I'd probably avoid dark-colored clothes on this occasion. Not that those are forbidden but you would look odd if this were in Japan. A nice jacket and pant/skirt will do. If you have a chance to talk directly to the person of the hour, you may congratulate them on this occasion, thank them for what they have been doing for you, and wish them a healthy life hereafter.