JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
simoninjapan (Offline)
New to JF

Exchange year University in Japan - some info needed - 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a University student of International Management, and I have a mandatory year abroad as part of my studies. I plan to either go to China or Japan, currently more tending towards China but not really the topic here..
Our partner University is in Tokyo, everything is in English, no language barrier at least during my studies.
I would have to enquire for the precise name of the University, altough I suspect there aren't too many English speaking programs in Tokyo ?
My University will only to a limited degree help me with contacts to that University, as the whole exchange thing isn't supposed to be a care-bear package, so to speak.
I would have to organise my own accomodation and daily life in Japan, which suits me fine as I like challenges.
I am aware of the huge size of Tokyo, and without knowing where the Uni is exactly located I guess it's sort of a difficult thing to answer:
- What am I expected to pay for a simple, furnished (or half-furnished) room, preferably in a shared flat ?
- Does my (presumed) 1 year Study Visa allow me to work part-time as a language teacher ? (I speak English, German, French)
- As I have to finance the whole stay myself I wanted a rough idea of what I have to calculate for living costs per month. Please don't calculate too conservative, I need little luxury but don't want to stay at home all the time either.

Any other hints regarding my situation is greatly appreciated. Or if you're aware of a similar thread which could answer some of my questions it'd great if you could post a link.
Thank you,

Simon