JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Testament33 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Testament33 Send a message via MSN to Testament33 Send a message via Yahoo to Testament33
I have a ...question while thinking about going to Japan. - 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Well im deciding to move/relocate to Japan with my fiancee. Though she loves Japan, she's an african american (and im asian) and she heard alot about the old racial issues of Japan. Im not trying to be offensive, i just want to know if this still around so i can persuade her to come with me over there.

Im sorry if this is offensive, i just want an answer from people living in Japan about the racial issues going on.

Favorite Movie of all time~ 5 Centimeters per Second woot!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2009, 04:16 AM

Did you try a search? This topic comes up quite frequently.

Here's the latest reiteration :

Being black in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-26-2009, 05:39 AM

Being Asian, you are probably more likely to have a hard time in Japan than your girlfriend. That's not to say that people will treat you badly, foreigners see few problems with racism here. The problems you might have would be mainly official, as police tend to check non-Japanese Asians for their residency cards more often than they check other foreigners. Filipinos and Southeast Asians probably have more cause to think that Japan is a racist country than black people do.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-26-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament33 View Post
Well im deciding to move/relocate to Japan with my fiancee. Though she loves Japan, she's an african american (and im asian) and she heard alot about the old racial issues of Japan. Im not trying to be offensive, i just want to know if this still around so i can persuade her to come with me over there.

Im sorry if this is offensive, i just want an answer from people living in Japan about the racial issues going on.
Racial issues... Japan, hahaha... A few, but it's not serious and the wost you will get is a turned up upper lip from a seventy year old, or a smirk from a 17 year old punk!

Forget any issues... Incy wincy stuff... GO TO JAPAN

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament33 View Post

Interracial marriages are not 100% accepted anywhere. That being said, I knew several interracial couples (though none with african-american elements) and they got along fine in their communities.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-26-2009, 08:26 AM

Around here there are a lot of Brazilians, of all shades, so a good number of couples where one side is much darker... And I don`t really think they experience any special issues based on race when compared to any other interracial couple. In my personal experience it seems that interracial couples tend to have more problems in parts of the US than in most all of Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2009, 01:28 PM

The Japanese who have problems with race dislike anyone who is foreign, not because of skin color. This is a cultural thing so don't let it bother you.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Testament33 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Testament33 Send a message via MSN to Testament33 Send a message via Yahoo to Testament33
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM

haha, alright that doesnt sound bad then. Here, we already getting interracial crap from people (my parents included) so i can care less about gossip or just small talk from other people. As long as we dont get outwardly abuse or get crap from everyone then im sure thats ok. Btw, im Chinese/Vietnamese mix and she's black/white/korean mix (though she's 50% black and 25% white and 25% korean from her mom and dad side).

Well i guess i know where im living once im through with college and the likes , its been a dream to go there soo i hope it wont disappoint.

Favorite Movie of all time~ 5 Centimeters per Second woot!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kisftw (Offline)
~PwRrNgR~

Send a message via AIM to kisftw Send a message via MSN to kisftw Send a message via Yahoo to kisftw Send a message via Skype™ to kisftw
05-28-2009, 06:05 AM

lol, I'm Viet and Chinese too! (Totally didn't help you, but I thought I'd throw that tidbit of info in.)