JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

What kind of job can I get in Japan with my resume? - 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM

Bachelor's degree in Accounting - Norway.
Working in accounting department
Fluent in Arabic, Norwegian, German, English and can read French.

Can I get anything that isn't teaching or flipping burgers in Japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-30-2009, 12:51 AM

I take it that you're from Norway? I believe the English schools are fairly picky about hiring teachers who come from a country where English is an official/native language. Perhaps someone can chime in regarding the amount of leeway they'll give you.

As for flipping burgers, you won't be able to do that without a work visa and I'm pretty sure that McDonalds, Mos Burger, etc. will not go through the hassles of obtaining one for you.

How's your Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

05-30-2009, 01:34 AM

I don't know any Japanese, besides the basic stuff (kana, some kanji, and words I've heard many, many times on TV)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2009, 04:13 AM

Teaching probably isn't an option, as you are generally required to be a "native speaker". As for accounting or finance, there are fewer and fewer of these positions available even for experienced Japanese; much of this work has been outsourced to India, and banks are laying off workers to cut costs.

You will not make enough income to qualify for a work visa in the service industry (tending bar, waiting tables, or flipping burgers). Your only real option is to wait for the economy to get better, and perhaps study Japanese while you wait.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-30-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
Bachelor's degree in Accounting - Norway.
Working in accounting department
Fluent in Arabic, Norwegian, German, English and can read French.

Can I get anything that isn't teaching or flipping burgers in Japan?
Sounds like the door could be very much open for you.

You would have to do some research on job boards and see what you qualify for. Quite posssibly in your case, the sky is the limit.

If your English combined accent are fluent enough, teaching would definitely be an option. Their are high pay teaching jobs out their for the right candidate.

Good luck

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Sitron,

There are tons of university graduates in Japan who are unemployed and looking for work. The key to successful employment is to find a niche which makes you stand head and shoulders amongst the crowd.

Your ability to speak many languages is definitely an asset but you lose that luster when you factor in your lack of Japanese. After all, what use is knowing 5 languages if you can't even fill in a job application form?

My suggestion to you would be to become proficient in Japanese. Obtaining a JPLT1 certification would vastly improve your marketability and it'll make day to day life in Japan so much easier.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Sitron,

There are tons of university graduates in Japan who are unemployed and looking for work. The key to successful employment is to find a niche which makes you stand head and shoulders amongst the crowd.

Your ability to speak many languages is definitely an asset but you lose that luster when you factor in your lack of Japanese. After all, what use is knowing 5 languages if you can't even fill in a job application form?

My suggestion to you would be to become proficient in Japanese. Obtaining a JPLT1 certification would vastly improve your marketability and it'll make day to day life in Japan so much easier.
Are the undergraduates you mention Japanese?
English is usually spoken in larger International companies in Japan.

Cheers - Oz