JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CelestialChild (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to CelestialChild
Exclamation Using Mac Computers in Japan - 06-22-2009, 04:08 PM

Life has caused me to be relatively absent from this place for so long, but now that I'm making preparations for Japan in the fall I figured I should start checking up here again.

I wanted to ask about computers-laptops specifically. I'll be studying abroad in Japan for a year, which is why this is kind of important.

I have a question about the use of Mac computers in Japan. I currently own on Sony laptop which in the last year has given me more trouble than it's worth, and I'm looking in to buying a new laptop by the end of the summer. I am considering purchasing a mac if I have the available funds by that time, but I'm wondering whether or not this is worth it. I've had two Japanese friends before tell me "Don't buy a mac! Nobody uses it in Japan!" but I wanted to know if anyone had different or the same experiences, what difficulties were faced, etc.

I know there is a Mac store in Ginza... how is customer service and tech support, in the event something goes wrong? If anyone knows.

Is there anything I should keep in mind, or that any of you would recommend?

Thank you in advanced =)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM

I was under the impression that Macs were quite popular here? Or at least the same sort of level as in the US. I don`t think you`ll encounter any problems or issues using one in Japan any more than using one elsewhere.

What sort of difficulties are you worried about encountering?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CelestialChild (Offline)
JF Regular

06-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Mostly just that of "tech support"-type. I am far less familiar with the Mac OS, so it is more difficult for me to take care of my own problems without assistance. I'm mostly worried about switching systems and then being abroad for a year when something goes wrong with my laptop.

I also don't know how much college students tend to use their laptops for class, etc. though I assume I can always use a school computer if necessary. Only I know that even in the States their are technology compatability issues. I've had to hook my laptop up to school projectors before in order to give presentations, but I don't know how commonplace this is Tokyo universities? There are always other methods, I suppose. Of course, I'm sure I can get creative if I run into problems.

Really I just want to know if there is anything in particular about which I should be forwarned.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Well if you are not used to a Mac I was just wonderin why you would want one? I mean is there a specific reason you would need one?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CelestialChild (Offline)
JF Regular

06-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Well, at least insofar as I have heard (and I'm not certain how much of this is hype), they're a lot more reliable hardware wise, and the whole system is less glitchy. This is just what I've heard. I'm extraordinarly skeptical, but, considering the laptop problems I've had, the more reliable the more interested I am.

I know the Mac basics I just don't know it quite as well as I know the Windows OS. The thinking is differnet sometimes. I'm willing to really learn the system though if they really are what everyone makes them out to be.

But I guess that's a PC vs Mac debate haha.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Fooflowers (Offline)
ETiD

Send a message via MSN to Fooflowers Send a message via Skype™ to Fooflowers
06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
Well if you are not used to a Mac I was just wonderin why you would want one?
He wasn't accustomed to windows until he used that either so... your logic is a bit flawed ther

I switched from Windows to Mac 3 months ago after being a windows user for 10+ years and a linux user for 2+ years and it was a breeze every things kinda done for you in a way i dual boot windows xp and mac os x.

I have XP for games and when im not playing i just want to boot into mac immediately i love xp aswell so it goes to show how much ive taken to OS X .

Practically every vlogger in japan i subscribe to on youtube uses a mac lol so i dont think you'll have much problems getting stuff fixed if need be

/shoot to thrill
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 05:50 PM

I use a PC from home, but at work I've had to get used to Macs.

If you're computer literate in any way, or literate in general, you shouldn't have a problem with the transition.

I would worry more if you were switching from a Mac to Windows.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2009, 01:22 AM

I wouldn`t think you`d have any trouble getting support in Japan at all. In fact, from what I know about the way they do support, you`ll have a better chance of getting direct maker support with a Mac than with a PC. Macs are standardized world over and generally offer support no matter what country you actually bought the thing in. With a PC there are often a lot of differences between the models even released by the same company depending on what country it was sold in - and support in one country usually won`t touch something sold in another.

If you`re going to be in a city with an Apple store (Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sendai, Sapporo), it will make things even easier.

Every major electronics retailer also offers Apple products and usually repair/support.

I can`t really comment on which would be better to use in a classroom environment, but in my personal experience not many students use a laptop in school. I know a few people who took their laptop to university when they were in a graphics related course, but for normal stuff and presentations I don`t think it`s all that common. It wasn`t a few years ago, and I doubt teacher attitudes and styles have changed all that much.

I say to go for what you like. You shouldn`t have trouble with support in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-23-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialChild View Post
Mostly just that of "tech support"-type. I am far less familiar with the Mac OS, so it is more difficult for me to take care of my own problems without assistance. I'm mostly worried about switching systems and then being abroad for a year when something goes wrong with my laptop.

I also don't know how much college students tend to use their laptops for class, etc. though I assume I can always use a school computer if necessary. Only I know that even in the States their are technology compatability issues. I've had to hook my laptop up to school projectors before in order to give presentations, but I don't know how commonplace this is Tokyo universities? There are always other methods, I suppose. Of course, I'm sure I can get creative if I run into problems.

Really I just want to know if there is anything in particular about which I should be forwarned.
Sounds like a possible stress factor, even more so if you cannot communicate in Japanese.

I think all computers are prone to tech "stuff" problems. Imagine Apple didn't have an English help service in Japan. Would drive you nuts!

I would say SONY would have English phone back up in Japan, so maybe safe to stick with it for the ride.

then again, if you are rich and fancy something new, buy an iMac and worry later on

Cheers - Oz
(#10 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2009, 03:07 AM

I heard Linux is getting more and more popular in Japan. Free and it's getting easier and easier to use for average people.

I also heard that the Japanese language support for Linux is getting better.