JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chiappa (Offline)
New to JF

how many times can you go to korea and come back?:) - 06-24-2009, 05:05 AM

hi there. is there any limit to how much time you can spend in japan with tourist visas? im eligible for a 3month stay/per stamp. so i wonder if as a freelancer it could be possible to just visit korea 4times a year? anyone have any experience? do they ask alot of questions at the border?

thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

06-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiappa View Post
hi there. is there any limit to how much time you can spend in japan with tourist visas? im eligible for a 3month stay/per stamp. so i wonder if as a freelancer it could be possible to just visit korea 4times a year? anyone have any experience? do they ask alot of questions at the border?

thanks!
I believe its illegal to do that?
someone correct me if im wrong.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2009, 05:16 AM

A buddy of mine did that. He extended his stay 3 times. I wouldn't recommend it because there is no guarentee your request for an extension will be accepted. Once your tourist visa expires and you want to stay in Japan longer you need to get an extension. Though while this process is taking place you need to leave the country.

I dont think simply exiting and reentering for a new tourist visa is allowed.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-24-2009, 05:25 AM

It's called a visa run, you numpties! It is not illegal, yet some countries do have limits to how many times you can enter the country per year, and stuff.

For example, in Thailand, you're only alowed to leave the country (say, to Cambodia) and return the next day with the free visa on arrival 3 times every six months. That means you can only stay 3 months in Thailand every 6 months. If you want to stay longer, you're going to have to visit the Thai embassy in the country in which you are doing your visa run in and apply for a proper visa.

There will be a Japanese embassy in Korea in which you can apply for visas or something. If you have a visa for Japan stamped in your passport BEFORE you arrive in Japan, you will not be refused entry.

But you're going to have to visit embassy websites to find out the exact details.

www.kr.emb-japan.go.jp/

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2009, 05:31 AM

In 1999..no problem

In 2009...no guarantees
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chiappa (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2009, 05:56 AM

i understood extensions are possible only for certain countries (not including mine).
ok, so perhaps there is no strict guidelines to as what are the possibilities. also forexample if japanese tourists travel to europe, they can stay 3months at a time and re-enter once per year for another 3month stay. no questions asked, that is simply the rule.
so yeah perhaps a passport full of korea stamps is not such a good idea maybe travel to other countries, stay longer periods away, make up good excuses..
that embassy website is not available in english. well im sure atleast one time the korea trip has to work, so i can go ask them in person.
would like to hear more from people with actual experience!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2009, 06:55 AM

I would imagine they`d get suspicious of it after a couple times. I know it was much easier to pull off back 10 years ago (I did something similar two times in a row - one 4 day trip to Korea, followed by a 6 day trip to the US) and even then on the second entry they were seriously suspicious and I had to call my husband-to-be to present proof that I was coming back in to get married and not illegally working.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-24-2009, 06:56 AM

I've heard second-hand reports about people being turned away after multiple visa runs to Korea - it seems it has more to do with the particular immigration officer they run into rather than any certain rules or regulations - but then again, I can't verify any of those reports.

If you're trying to make a living in Japan, keep in mind that it's a lot harder to do certain things on a tourist visa, i.e. opening bank accounts or getting a mobile phone or getting any long-term accommodation. I would strongly advise against visa runs if you're trying to stay in Japan long-term.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 06-24-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Pardon my dyslexia.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2009, 07:39 AM

It used to be common practice, but not so anymore. You might get away with it once, but I must emphasize the word "might".

Why are you not able to get a work visa, or a working holiday visa?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2009, 07:48 AM

How many times can you go to korea and come back?

Don't count on it. Besides, it's getting more and more restrictive to go between the two countries due to the economic crisis.