JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

Smile Can a foreigner work as a nurse in Japan? - 07-08-2009, 06:49 AM

I have a friend that is majoring in Nursing and maybe thinking of working in Japan with a working visa. He is studying Japanese too. Can foreigners work in that field in Japan?

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato289 View Post
I have a friend that is majoring in Nursing and maybe thinking of working in Japan with a working visa. He is studying Japanese too. Can foreigners work in that field in Japan?
In short, no, not really. He could be a medical interpreter, but hands on is not likely to happen.

I have translated Japanese nursing curriculum before, and the requirements for graduation are different, so your friend would need to attend Japanese nursing school to fill in the blanks, which would mean he would have to be not only fluent in Japanese, but fluent in medical Japanese, which even most Japanese natives are not.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-08-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Of course, they can. Nursing is one area, together with care for the elderly, that needs to be filled by non-Japanese. The following are the conditions.

1. Your friend will need to pass the Japanese nursing exams (in Japanese).
2. He must be able to communicate freely with other nurses, patients and dotors. (Both in writing and orally.)
3. He must be willing to work under the same conditions with any other nurses.

In other words, one could become an English teacher with considerably less efforts (in many cases, no efforts at all) and make considerably more money than a nurse. A sad situation....
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2009, 12:57 PM

They are hiring many Philippine nurses to fill the demand. An American education is preferred by Japanese over Philippines any day.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
They are hiring many Philippine nurses to fill the demand. An American education is preferred by Japanese over Philippines any day.
All of the Philippine nurses I have seen so far have been nursing assistants - not hired or treated as regular nurses. There is a huge demand in care for the elderly, particularly in nursing homes and in-home care. For most of the regular tasks, they don`t need to have the normal qualifications as they don`t actually handle the truly medical bits.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
All of the Philippine nurses I have seen so far have been nursing assistants - not hired or treated as regular nurses. There is a huge demand in care for the elderly, particularly in nursing homes and in-home care. For most of the regular tasks, they don`t need to have the normal qualifications as they don`t actually handle the truly medical bits.
I saw on Japanese TV that they were training them (at a Japanese college)to be actual nurses. Of course these were foreign nurses (there were some American and Aussie nurses too) who had a better than conversational level of Japanese. Of course they had to be retrained to understand that the Japanese body works differently than other nationalities (that was what they told me at my job, it's the same of course )
You're right too, I saw that also.
BTW, I didn't make the comment about American education is preferred over Phillipino, the Japanese man on the news story did. I thought I better clear that up before I get called a racist again. I know nothing of the education there.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-08-2009, 04:55 PM

I read an article that maybe an american foreigner can work as a nurse in the american military places in Japan without having to be in the military. The will be working as a civilian. does any of you know anything about this?

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

In other words, one could become an English teacher with considerably less efforts (in many cases, no efforts at all) and make considerably more money than a nurse. A sad situation....[/quote]

wow really! that really sux!

--Jaka

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

In other words, one could become an English teacher with considerably less efforts (in many cases, no efforts at all) and make considerably more money than a nurse. A sad situation....

wow really! that really sux!
Who said nurses don't make good money?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Who said nurses don't make good money?
I dont think he meant that. he said that some teachers can make more money than nurses with less efforts.

--Jaka