LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I don't know if it's the same for all supermarkets, but my local one had a 'sale' on wednesday afternoon when basically almost everything perishable was sold off (usually nothing wrong with it, but they shut Thursdays) and prices dropped. You had to fight off the old ladies for the good stuff but if you timed it right you could shop a week's stuff for half or only 2/3rds of the usual cost.
In my experience, all supermarkets that close for a day each week did that. And there's a smaller version of it every night within the last 45 min - 1 hr before closing... perishable things get marked down, though not as much as the day before they're closed. So always shop just before the market closes, either for the night or for the next day, in order to save money.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2009, 01:29 AM

about the perishables,.... japanese shoppers standards are so high that a slight blemish on a banana will consign it to the discount bin. in many cases you'll find stuff there just because it arrived at the shop the day before, or in the case of fish/meat it was put out during the day, but has been perfectly packed and chilled.

so alot of the stuff in the discount bins are incredibly fresh for anyone without the ridiculous standards of the japanese.

i just picked up 8 bananas for Y100, and that wasnt even in the discount bin, but they werent as pretty as the Y200 per banana ones.

the worst thing for your wallet is to start shopping like them and be suspicious of the discount bin. the old ladies know whats what.

and on another note, no way is it cheaper to eat out in tokyo than to cook yourself. if you shop like a moron then maybe yes.

but an average relatively cheap meal will cost you atleast 600-700 yen, and sometimes closer to or above the Y1000 range at a sit down joint. this is fast food ramen, where you get your own water.

conbini food is cheaper but not by that much,... youre talking 400-800 per obento plus a drink. but you could go the onigiri route for 90-150 per piece. it is incredibly good food though, and could be compared to japanese restaurant quality outside japan, but at a fraction of the cost.

one last shopping tip,... dont get everything from one place, thats how they get you. most decent sized cities are basically one big village, and theres bound to be a little market in every area, sometimes 5 minutes away from each other,.... certain things you can find much cheaper at those places.

check out the way the local housewives work here,... you'll find that they dont normally do a big shop once a week, but rather, you'll find that they shop and plan meals daily depending on whats fresh and cheap.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post

check out the way the local housewives work here,... you'll find that they dont normally do a big shop once a week, but rather, you'll find that they shop and plan meals daily depending on whats fresh and cheap.
I second everything Trunker has said. That's really useful, common-sense stuff. Ten to one the fridge won't be big enough for a week's shop anyway.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Noted!

Thanks guys
(#15 (permalink))
Old
onlyOneUnwell (Offline)
New to JF

07-17-2009, 12:59 PM

I am glad to see this thread title hahaha u know, it depends
summary
the minimum allowance should be around 8-10 man/month
that is for house renting and food. To my case I ask for 14-18 for house rental and eating because I don't want to share room with anyone anymore
I want to have everything installed. then I need 6-7 man for oyatsu and soft drinks. 4-5 man to hang out with friends.
So totally I need 24-30 man/month. (22+30)/2=28 man/month
I still not count money to feed gals

It is a big shame for a business runner who "never" knows how "the other gal's lips in a bar taste" << this is just for young businessman. If someone is a businessman, he "should try this out" from time to time. His wife may not look as young anymore
(#16 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

07-18-2009, 08:55 AM

as a student some years ago (ok, so it was quite awhile ago), i spent 80,000 yen/month. subtract 39,000 yen/month for rent and you have 41,000 yen/month left.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ