JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Does Japan have an IRS? - 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM

So, as we may all know, the US Federal Government taxes income --- with is overtly unconstitutional. The Federal Reserve System is unconstitutional and has maxed out the national debt and bankrupted the American government (and dollar).

Is the same thing going on in Japan? Is their IRS system as blatantly corrupt?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
So, as we may all know, the US Federal Government taxes income --- with is overtly unconstitutional. The Federal Reserve System is unconstitutional and has maxed out the national debt and bankrupted the American government (and dollar).

I'm sure they are corrupt. Blatant, no. They are very sneaky about it. If any Government official gets caught doing something wrong, a subordinate is blamed and after apologizing (with many bows) , the matter is forgotten.
I was charged taxes on my income on my monthly check. Then every year I paid a tax for living there. Even though I left before the year was over,I had to pay the full year's amount before I was allowed to leave Japan. Funny thing was no one could ever explain these "taxes" to me.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about Japan's case but there was a very serious event 2 years ago that shook the whole government's money flow: Scandal over lost pensions may be the final straw for ruling party - Times Online

Thank goodness that the (ironically anti-Japanese) LDP is crashing down faster than a sick bird.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I'm sure they are corrupt. Blatant, no. They are very sneaky about it. If any Government official gets caught doing something wrong, a subordinate is blamed and after apologizing (with many bows) , the matter is forgotten.
I was charged taxes on my income on my monthly check. Then every year I paid a tax for living there. Even though I left before the year was over,I had to pay the full year's amount before I was allowed to leave Japan. Funny thing was no one could ever explain these "taxes" to me.
I paid taxes, but then got the money back after I moved back to Japan (that might have been like Social Security...not sure)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 08:06 PM

I would like to see the law that states we have to pay income tax.

They only go off of the 16th amendment, which wasn't properly ratified and was referring to corporate income.

I hope Japan hasn't adopted the same corrupt ideals.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I would like to see the law that states we have to pay income tax.

They only go off of the 16th amendment, which wasn't properly ratified and was referring to corporate income.

I hope Japan hasn't adopted the same corrupt ideals.
Search Aarron Russo (not sure off the spelling). He was the producer for the Bette Midler movie "The Rose". He did a film about it before he died.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 08:14 PM

My boss has that movie, I may have to borrow it.

Thanks
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-16-2009, 12:01 AM

Of course Japan has an equivalent of the IRS- the 税務署 (zeimusho) or tax office, and there is a Ministry of Finance which deals with monetary policy. Not being an American, I know very little about your system, so I can't comment on whether it is "as corrupt as the IRS".

Last edited by sarasi : 07-16-2009 at 12:08 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

07-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Japanese income taxes are insanely LOW. About 5% if you make 1senmanen or less. That's 100,000USD folks. In the states you'D be lucky to take home 60K of that. The problem is cost of living is skyhigh if you live in the city and like to use highways, eat meat and fruit etc. The reason there are so many expats here is the J-gov lets you keep most of your pay.

It'S amazing how much a government can save when you don't have to pay for 11 aircraft carrier battle groups, overseas military bases, etc.

Local taxes are however rising quickly, and will eventually be on par with western countries by the time we all retire.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2009, 01:15 AM

Income tax is low, but, like in western countries, there are lots of invisible taxes which you don't often see.

If you drive a car, then you are going to pay lots of tax, more than 50% the price of gasoline consists of tax, plus there is a tax which is levied on the size of the engine in your car. That tax alone on my car (with it's 6 liter engine) would cost more than $100 per month. This is in addition to the inspection tax which must be paid every 2 years. Adding highway tolls (which is another form of tax) makes owning a car in Japan an expensive venture.

Residency tax is a killer. Most foreigners are unaware of this tax, it doesn't apply to people who live in the country for 1 year or less. In my area it runs about $1200 a year. My girlfriend lives in a high-end Tokyo neighborhood, her residency tax is about $7000 per year.

Sales tax is 5%, but applies to everything. Pension tax is not expensive, far less than what they charge in American for Social Security. I pay about $60 a month into the national pension plan. If I leave after 3 or less years, the money I pay into the pension plan will be refunded to me.