JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Viridistori (Offline)
New to JF

Independent living - 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Hello guys, I need help.

What about the retired/wealthy and not interested in working or studying in order to stay long term?

It's like a leave-me-alone-but-want-to-stay and I'm able to live on my own.

Or can get some type of permit if I start my own business in Japan?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

easiest way would be to set up a business i suppose, and sponsor yourself.

i guess the best way would be to get yourself a lawyer who could see to the formalities. since you dont have work / study / money commitments then the best way might be to just come over when ever you want and get to know the people on the ground.

what youre talking about is quite a commitment and i would imagine that you would want to vet a lawyer in person, rather than appointing some random name you find online.

the reason i suggest just coming over for a visit is this, the japanese embassies, who you would expect to be able to help you, tend to have a meltdown whenever they are presented with a situation that doesnt fit the mould that they have been instructed to deal with. you might learn something, but i doubt that they would actually help you beyond giving you a tourist or working visa of some sort.

depending on your level of wealth, perhaps you might want to talk to your banker / wealth manager,.... chances are they will have someone on this side who will be able to direct you.

i havent had need to hire a lawyer yet so unfortunately i cant recommend one at the moment.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2009, 01:01 AM

If you have sufficient funds to support you, you can apply for an "investor/business" visa. You can find info at the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Metropolis Magazine usually have lawyers who advertise in the magazine's classifieds section that specialize in this kind of work. Here is an example: Nissato Legal Visa Office 新里会計事務所 行政書士新里事務所 - Incorporate Business