JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
binnybun (Offline)
New to JF

The possiblity of living in japan (questions) - 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM

I want to learn more about Japan so that I may live there. I plan to try and study and get my degree here first in education. Hopefully to become a teacher for japan. I'm only 19 now so I know it won't be easy to smoothly ease in but i plan for bumps. Basically I want to understand more about Japan culture and languages and their government before hopping in. I would also like to know if it would be possible to become an art teacher. If not what other positions do you guys think are open as a teacher. What are the normal living costs for a single person? What would be the best area to live in for protection wise? What should i be area of when it comes to common crimes? I'm not some half wit who wants to go to japan because of anime. I want to go because they are the second advance in technology. I'm also hoping that the Government is a bit more honest with their rules and regulations unlike America where common cops bend the rules for themselves.. Although I highly doubt that anywhere I go it will be common that people will take advantage of their position. Answers please? I don't plan to leave for another 5 to 10 years though. Also... How are women treated in japan?

Last edited by binnybun : 07-23-2009 at 02:24 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I'm not an authority on Japan whatsoever, but I'll put my 1 cent in.
From what I've been told by Japanese, there is more gender inequality in Japan in terms of the workforce. If you're an older woman it's very hard to get a job, apparently. Don't know about just general treatment.

I wouldn't go to Japan just because it has very good technology either. Go there if you decide it will advance your career goals/interests better than doing anything else with your time or money.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-24-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnybun View Post
I want to learn more about Japan so that I may live there. I plan to try and study and get my degree here first in education. Hopefully to become a teacher for japan. I'm only 19 now so I know it won't be easy to smoothly ease in but i plan for bumps. Basically I want to understand more about Japan culture and languages and their government before hopping in. I would also like to know if it would be possible to become an art teacher. If not what other positions do you guys think are open as a teacher. What are the normal living costs for a single person? What would be the best area to live in for protection wise? What should i be area of when it comes to common crimes? I'm not some half wit who wants to go to japan because of anime. I want to go because they are the second advance in technology. I'm also hoping that the Government is a bit more honest with their rules and regulations unlike America where common cops bend the rules for themselves.. Although I highly doubt that anywhere I go it will be common that people will take advantage of their position. Answers please? I don't plan to leave for another 5 to 10 years though. Also... How are women treated in japan?
Japan is probably the safest country in the world to live in. That's not to say that it is crime free, but unlike America, there are no neighborhoods in Japan where it is unsafe to walk the streets.

The Japanese government is no more honest than any other country's, and Japanese police don't have to bend any rules because they have less such rules to restrain them. You have many more rights in America when it comes to dealing with the police than you would have in Japan.

Becoming a teacher in Japan is not difficult provided you have the proper educational background and are competent in Japanese. As for teaching art, that is certainly a possibility, but there is more demand for teachers who specialize in things like language, math, and science.

Teachers in Japan are paid above the national median income, so you can live comfortably enough on a teacher's pay.