JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jml5083 (Offline)
JF Regular

Hiring Friezes? - 07-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Right now I'm about out of college and looking for work in the states. Most of the companies I'm applying to are in Hiring Friezes where they are not hiring any new employees or recent grads unless they must fill a roll where an employee has left.

Can I expect to see much of the same when I return to applying to JET/AEON this fall? That would be extremely disheartening D:
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml5083 View Post
Right now I'm about out of college and looking for work in the states. Most of the companies I'm applying to are in Hiring Friezes where they are not hiring any new employees or recent grads unless they must fill a roll where an employee has left.

Can I expect to see much of the same when I return to applying to JET/AEON this fall? That would be extremely disheartening D:
JET and AEON are not expanding, but they turn over a lot of employees every year (most of JET is a 3 year limit). But you spelled "freeze" wrong twice in your post...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
JET and AEON are not expanding, but they turn over a lot of employees every year (most of JET is a 3 year limit). But you spelled "freeze" wrong twice in your post...
Artistic license?

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2009, 10:34 PM

I have an interview with Aeon in September so I don't think they'll be going through any kind of friezes or freezes anytime in the near future. let's hope so tho.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Anywhere else on the internet you'll hear people saying the "market is flooded".

I've grown so sick of that term...

It's kinda true and kinda not. One the one hand, yeah, the economy is bad, so employers are freaked out and not hiring as much. On the other hand, as MMM stated, turnover is very high. A lot of people come over here very bright-eyed and after three months find they can't handle it and go home. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it also opens up jobs. Employers get desperate to fill these newly opened spots so they'll hire almost anyone with a working visa.

Speaking of which, getting one can be a pain. Employers are very hit-or-miss about sponsoring your visa, but that's probably off topic and I won't get into it.

GABA, Geos, Aeon, JET, ECC, Interac, and so on are the big eikaiwas in Japan that hire from overseas, put you up, pay you well, and sponsor your visa. From what I know only Aeon had frozen hiring but apparently not. If you have an interview that means it'll be for an April 2010 position, so cool!

These companies are ALWAYS advertising for open positions, so don't worry about hiring friezes or freezes or any kind of cold snap.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2009, 06:45 PM

if turnover is high why would any position be for April 2010?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-29-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamike View Post
if turnover is high why would any position be for April 2010?
The school year in Japan starts in April, so many teaching positions do April to March contracts.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2009, 06:54 PM

even for eikaiwas like Aeon? i don't wanna wait that long to start....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamike View Post
even for eikaiwas like Aeon? i don't wanna wait that long to start....
That's when the school year starts, so that's usually when contracts start, as that's how their customer flows tend to start and end...even for eikaiwas.

JET is July, but you would have to apply in the fall for July 2010...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2009, 08:45 PM

wow. i just figured that they wouldn't be holding interviews now if they didn't plan on placing you a few months after the interview. I guess i'll find out at the interview.